Girlfriends pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Tyty13
Location 2: North carolina

Girlfriends pleco

Post by Tyty13 »

Ok so my girlfriend saw an albino bristled nose pleco that looked gold in color and had to have it. We have two fish tanks. My tank for my Goonch, and hers with her two fantail goldfish. I told her this fish wasn't going to eat goldfish flakes and talked her into getting Hikari algae wafers. However everytime we feed him the Goldie's push him out the way and steal his wafer :(( . Is there any plant I can buy for this guy to eat?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Girlfriends pleco

Post by Silurus »

You should try farming algae.

Read this and this.
yayfish24
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: lancaster pa

Post by yayfish24 »

I dont think he will eat any plants but you can try giving him some veggies. I know my guys love green pepper. I just cut it in 4's and throw out the core. I put a fork in it and drop it in the tank.
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

Hi,

I tried farming algae and although possible to feed a hungry pleco will take a large amount of effort and light to make it work.

Veg works well (Cucumber gives little value in terms of food to the pleco). The pleco will pickup flake, odd bits at the bottom but it cant live on scraps.

The wafers try dropping in 30 minutes after lights are off and the pleco will have a better chance. Or break the wafer up and drop it in different sections of the tank. That way everyone gets a bit.

Search the forum and you will find lots of information on blanching some veg for them. courgette is a personal favourite as less messy than cucumber and gives a little more. Ice berg lettuce after a blanch is supposed to be good but I always get it wrong and ends up messy.
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:9)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

You can also put the wafers under a flat stone that has been raised just enough for the ancistrus to get under and feed, but not the 'pudgy' goldfish. Or put the wafer inside a glass or acrylic container that only the pleco can get into. Don't worry the pleco will figure it out.
.Plecomania.
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: New Jersey USA

Post by .Plecomania. »

feed pleco at night as suggested. throw in twowafer in case the goldfish somehow find one in the dark. they get activated when they smell foor day or night LOL
make sure the tank she has is big enough for the goldfish and pleco! all are huge waste producers and overfeeding to try and get the pleco to eat comfortably isn't going to help a small tank.

the pleco will eat all flakes.
unfortunately the goldfish will also eat any veggies you give to the pleco, but try anyway. everybody loves zucchini.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”