10 G purchase surprise

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

10 G purchase surprise

Post by Supercorygirl »

So searching Kijiji, found a 10G tank complete for a whopping $10. One condition came with fish. I thought okay probably either goldfish or guppies. Whoo catfish was I wrong, the tank in question came with 2-twig catfish and 2- banjo catfish. The tank was cheap as no one wanted these "ugly" (their words, not mine) that they had bought because their 5yo son liked them. Their son lost interest because the fish never really did anything. So they are happily rehomed in my tanks, to a medium planted 30G to quarrentine. Any advice appreciated on the banjos, twigs will go join my other 2 in a 75G, but I have never kept banjos before. The Farlowellas are huge for such a tiny tank, one was around 8" long, the other around 5". The big one looks very similiar to the 2 (farlowella vittatas i believe) I already have but the smaller one is a beautiful red/gold coloration. Long story short, I'd chose the "ugly" fish any day. :-p no pics of the other twig as he is hiding in a corner and the banjos immediately buried themselves in the sand.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
Valb68
I've donated: $60.00!
My cats species list: 37 (i:14, k:0)
My aquaria list: 18 (i:3)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:549)
Location 2: United States
Interests: Photography, gardening, reading, movies, aquarium gardens

Re: 10 G purchase surprise

Post by Valb68 »

Score!! Nice :)
river17
Location 2: NJ united states
Interests: Hi! I joined this site because I am obsessed with fish (in particular the pictus catfish. They symbolize wild energy and joy to me. Besides fish I find passion in my three voices (singing, playing cello, and writing). All of these I consider the single voice of my soul when combined. I play softball, and run track because I feel wild and joyful when I run and work hard at something. I am still a student though so I have a long road of study and choices ahead.

Post by river17 »

Ugly? are you kidding. I think they are beautiful! well maybe besides the banjos. They aren't exactly beautiful but bizarre. i guess you could call them beautiful in thier own way.
river17
Location 2: NJ united states
Interests: Hi! I joined this site because I am obsessed with fish (in particular the pictus catfish. They symbolize wild energy and joy to me. Besides fish I find passion in my three voices (singing, playing cello, and writing). All of these I consider the single voice of my soul when combined. I play softball, and run track because I feel wild and joyful when I run and work hard at something. I am still a student though so I have a long road of study and choices ahead.

Post by river17 »

Ugly? are you kidding. I think they are beautiful! well maybe besides the banjos. They aren't exactly beautiful but bizarre. i guess you could call them beautiful in their own way.
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Post by Supercorygirl »

Managed to snap a few pics of the banjo cats, I think they hide less due to the original tank had clown puke gravel. Smaller one is usually out in the open, the bigger one likes to leave its head out. Hoping I lucked out and got a pair, wouldn't mind breeding them as I never really see them at any stores.
image.jpg
image.jpg
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
Templeflower
My cats species list: 3 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:8)
Location 2: United States

Post by Templeflower »

Love! Congratulations, I'm still on the hunt for banjos for my 46. What a lucky find!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”