How to safely add sand into my aquarium

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MeglaAlex
My cats species list: 6 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 0 (i:0, p:7)
Location 1: Spfld,Mass USA
Location 2: Springfield, MA USA
Interests: Cooking,fish keeping, I love the Armored Catfish family, Yankees, Buccaneers, WWE, shopping, and meeting new people.

How to safely add sand into my aquarium

Post by MeglaAlex »

As per the suggestion of some member on this forum, I am going to be adding sand into my armored catfish display tank. I have 2 of the cats now that are going to be in the tank, which are the 2 megladoras irwini or urnascope (spelling.) On Friday (2 days), I will be getting 4 Hassar Catfish, and 4 Brochis Mult. cats. These are primarly my main show pieces with the irwinis. Then I have 3 giant spotted rapheals around 4-5'' coming... never seen them so big, and they'll make a wonderful addition to my armored cat display and I can keep them for life.
Now I want to give the catfish a natural feel at home, and add sand to the tank. I am thinking about using pool filter sand.... is this really safe to use? Everyone on my other forums are telling me it's perfect, completly safe and cheap. Is this true? Is it ok with catfish?
Ok so if I get the pool filter sand, I take it as I clean it in a bucket with water until the water is clear? And then I move the fish into a rubbermaid tote and drain about 75 percent of the water, add the sand, and fill the tank back up and add the fish? This is what I seen on youtube, for a quick and easy way of doing sand. I am just worried about catching the irwini and having them get caught in the net and have me cut my hand agian... there like knives!
Or is there an easier way of doing it?
Any help is def appericaited. Any other kind of sand that is cheap, you can think will work feel free to suggest it to me.
Armored Catfish Lover
Megladoras Irwini Keeper
Happy Holidays!

[b]Merry Christmas!![/b]
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Re: How to safely add sand into my aquarium

Post by racoll »

Yes, pool sand is fine. All you need to do is rinse it until the water is reasonably clear.

There's no need to drain the tank and remove the fish. Just take out 10% of water and add the sand, then top up with water.

Remember, use no more than half an inch of sand.
DutchFry
My images: 12
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: The Hague
Location 2: The Netherlands

Post by DutchFry »

I would do as racoll says, cleaning the sand is important for many reasons.

about adding the sand, I always use a piece of plastic tube at least as long as the height of the tank and pour the sand through it. this way it is easy to divide the sand over the bottom of your tank and the water will stay clear this way (again, if cleaned properly).
Greetings, Tim
MeglaAlex
My cats species list: 6 (i:4, k:0)
My BLogs: 0 (i:0, p:7)
Location 1: Spfld,Mass USA
Location 2: Springfield, MA USA
Interests: Cooking,fish keeping, I love the Armored Catfish family, Yankees, Buccaneers, WWE, shopping, and meeting new people.

Post by MeglaAlex »

Thank you guys for the info! I will be adding sand most likely the day after Christmas! Very busy few weeks ahead. Got my hassars and brochis I love them! They;ll look good in sand.
Armored Catfish Lover
Megladoras Irwini Keeper
Happy Holidays!

[b]Merry Christmas!![/b]

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”