Brochis Cats,

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MeglaAlex
My cats species list: 6 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 0 (i:0, p:7)
Location 1: Spfld,Mass USA
Location 2: Springfield, MA USA
Interests: Cooking,fish keeping, I love the Armored Catfish family, Yankees, Buccaneers, WWE, shopping, and meeting new people.

Brochis Cats,

Post by MeglaAlex »

I will be getting a few brochis Cats this Friday. They are pretty good sized about 2.5-3''. I was wondering if they will get any larger than this. Also what foods will they eat? Anyone ever keep them? Experience w/them? Doing a lot of research and hoping to get your o2 on them.
If you guys can tell me what species it is too by the pictures? Are these rare or just unseen?
Attachments
hassar 3.jpg
giant cories.jpg
giant cories.jpg (7.62 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
giant cory.jpg
Armored Catfish Lover
Megladoras Irwini Keeper
Happy Holidays!

[b]Merry Christmas!![/b]
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Re: Brochis Cats,

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Cat-eLog says
100mm (3.9") SL.
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
joemc
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: ireland

Post by joemc »

The Brochis cats are one of my favourite fish, amazing little armoured tanks cruising about rooting through leaf litter and sand for food,burying their snouts down eye deep with their tails up in the water as they search for food, to see them at their best you will need to keep a good sized group of them, they are a shoaling species. If you have not kept Brochis before I would recommend you give these a miss and look for some Brochis splendens, the splendens are available as captive farmed fish and adjust without a bother to aquarium life unlike multiradiatus which are all wild caught, will need to be treated for internal parasites and most likely will have to be weaned on to prepared foods, which is not always as straight forward as it seems, two of my multies took about 7-8 weeks before adjusting to shop bought pellets! and that took effort and a lot of chopped mashed earth worms!
another plus point in favour of the splendens is that they will only cost a fifth of the price of the multiradiatus which allows for a really big shoal without breaking the bank!!
MeglaAlex
Interests: Cooking,fish keeping, I love the Armored Catfish family, Yankees, Buccaneers, WWE, shopping, and meeting new people.

Post by MeglaAlex »

Dave Rinaldo wrote:.

Cat-eLog says
100mm (3.9") SL.
Thank you, that's perfect size for me. :)!
Armored Catfish Lover
Megladoras Irwini Keeper
Happy Holidays!

[b]Merry Christmas!![/b]
MeglaAlex

Post by MeglaAlex »

joemc wrote:The Brochis cats are one of my favourite fish, amazing little armoured tanks cruising about rooting through leaf litter and sand for food,burying their snouts down eye deep with their tails up in the water as they search for food, to see them at their best you will need to keep a good sized group of them, they are a shoaling species. If you have not kept Brochis before I would recommend you give these a miss and look for some Brochis splendens, the splendens are available as captive farmed fish and adjust without a bother to aquarium life unlike multiradiatus which are all wild caught, will need to be treated for internal parasites and most likely will have to be weaned on to prepared foods, which is not always as straight forward as it seems, two of my multies took about 7-8 weeks before adjusting to shop bought pellets! and that took effort and a lot of chopped mashed earth worms!
another plus point in favour of the splendens is that they will only cost a fifth of the price of the multiradiatus which allows for a really big shoal without breaking the bank!!
Thanks for the info on the Brochis family. I love the brochis cats more than the common coryadoras family. From what I am told by my fish shop owner, is that the brochis are being qted for me and are eating bloodworms and shrimp flakes. So I hope that is true. The Multiriadiatus are wild out of peru, and jumbo size. Some of them are about 3-5''... :)!Pretty cool catfish, I am going to get 3-6 of them. To form a small school.
Armored Catfish Lover
Megladoras Irwini Keeper
Happy Holidays!

[b]Merry Christmas!![/b]
joemc
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: ireland

Post by joemc »

No bother you are welcome, if you do go ahead and buy the B. multiradiatus once the shop has treated and settled them I would recommend buying at least six and picking the smaller younger fish in preference over the larger ones, I have had more success with the smaller specimens, I lost most of my larger ones over a period of 8 or 10 months and am still not sure exactly why, maybe they were much older fish, maybe they did not adjust to life in a glass box, maybe I just did not do the right thing for them, I just don't know...... but if I buy more I would only go for the smaller ones, what has put me off buying more is the heartache of having an amazing fantastic fish like these die in my care.. (or my lack of care)
before you commit yourself to these fish have a look at Brochis splendens, I think you will be impressed by these fish, their coloring alone is like nothing else around, which earned them the name of the emerald catfish for good reason!
MeglaAlex

Post by MeglaAlex »

joemc wrote:No bother you are welcome, if you do go ahead and buy the B. multiradiatus once the shop has treated and settled them I would recommend buying at least six and picking the smaller younger fish in preference over the larger ones, I have had more success with the smaller specimens, I lost most of my larger ones over a period of 8 or 10 months and am still not sure exactly why, maybe they were much older fish, maybe they did not adjust to life in a glass box, maybe I just did not do the right thing for them, I just don't know...... but if I buy more I would only go for the smaller ones, what has put me off buying more is the heartache of having an amazing fantastic fish like these die in my care.. (or my lack of care)
before you commit yourself to these fish have a look at Brochis splendens, I think you will be impressed by these fish, their coloring alone is like nothing else around, which earned them the name of the emerald catfish for good reason!
Ok. I will get the smaller ones. I get to hand pick which ones I get, so I'm cool w/ that. I will get only one big one.
I'll see if my lfs can get Brochis splendens in too... that way I can have both splendens and multiradiatus!
Armored Catfish Lover
Megladoras Irwini Keeper
Happy Holidays!

[b]Merry Christmas!![/b]
MeglaAlex

Post by MeglaAlex »

I ended up picking up 3 this past Friday. I like them as well as well as my 3 new cats, that I got last friday as well. Unfornatley, I lost 1 yesterday, just happens with wild fish I guess. But my other 2 are doing quite well, eating as many flakes and bloodworms they can with there goofy hognosed mouths.
They are not as active as my Catfish though.
Here are some pics of them.
Attachments
DSC04565.JPG
DSC04566.JPG
DSC04548.JPG
Armored Catfish Lover
Megladoras Irwini Keeper
Happy Holidays!

[b]Merry Christmas!![/b]

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”