TSN fully recovered, New problem.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Mreque
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Sweden

TSN fully recovered, New problem.

Post by Mreque »

Hey fishppl, Our TSN had some trouble that got resolved in this thread ( http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 93#p253193 )
He had a belly full of rocks. Fully recovered but now.. He has lost ALL of he´s colour and is well.. white.. Eating well and swimming well, dosnt seem like he´s in any stress.

Any ideas ?
Bacterial related?

Anyway heres the pic of him now, grown to twise the size from last time i posted.

Some info, PH around 7, no nitrates, 155gallon tank with a Fluval FX5 at 3500Liters per hour, air pump, Tempreature at 25,5 celcius. Activated carbon in the filter.
Food : Carnivous sinking pellets, shrimps.

Tankmates are, 1 Jack dempsey, 1 chrincichla ( Millet ) 2 gibbon suckers and 1 common pleco. and a "freshwater" Murana. So plenty of space to swim around undisturbed.
He´s got roots and plants to hide, altho he never does.

Heres a pic of him ugly and white :(
Attachments
He´s name is Sten ( rock in swedish ) since he likes to feast away on english seastones.
He´s name is Sten ( rock in swedish ) since he likes to feast away on english seastones.
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Re: TSN fully recovered, New problem.

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

I thought this might make for easier viewing!
Sten1.JPG
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
Mreque

Post by Mreque »

Bump,Please anyone ? I dont want him to be like this...
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Sorry, mate. Never experienced, never heard of this before... or at least I am not recognizing the problem.

Shots in the dark may include delayed albinism/amelanism; skin/slime desease; water chemistry; the fish went through hell with the stone extraction, which may led to something weird but from your description not life threatening.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Leucism...An animal with white pigmentation, but normal eye color.
This is not entirely unknown to happen,and not the first time I have heard of a fish (not just this species) changing from normal colouration. I do not think they turn back when this happens but will stay this color and continue to behave normally (I do not think it is a mood thing with these).
Heres a pic of him ugly and white :(
I think it is quite nice and is perfectly natural, not manmade. Just would have a hard time surviving in the wild.

Birger
Birger
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Yep, looks like a case of vitiligo in humans.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Mreque

Post by Mreque »

Ok, could this be a result of oxygen loss during surgery ?
unblinded
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Hooks, Texas
Location 2: United States

Post by unblinded »

I experienced something similar with my Synodontis Grandiops about 6 months after I first got them. They started to turn white. In my case it was a water quality issue. A poison of some type got into the tank. More than likely an aerosol my wife sprayed around the tank :-O . I moved the fish out to a temporary tank, cleaned out the tank out completely and set it up again. Their color came back gradually over the next few weeks. They were as white as your fish. The wife quit with the aerosol after that.
Catfish Addict Posing As Cichlid Enthusiast
Mreque

Post by Mreque »

Ok, after he turned white, i cleaned out all the filters completely and had the tank empty since i resiliconed it. had them in a smaller tank for a week or two.
And no of the old water was released in the newly siliconed tank. Also running with activated carbon in the fluval FX5. Using Waterlife 6.5 PH buffer and i have 0 No2.

Been 2 weeks since the refill of the tank. and not showing any progress.

Will pick up some anti bacterial because the RTC also has issues releasing slime every day.
Mreque

Post by Mreque »

I think its spreading to he´s eyes now. They are not clear anymore and starting to become cloudy =( My RTC that have been in a seprate tank before has problems aswell, he is eating well but is shedding slime once a day. and seems like he is a bit stressed. They are in the same tank atm but any suggestions of medication that might work ?
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Without even a hint of a diagnosis, it's hard to speak of meds.

If both fish are showing symptoms, chances are it has nothing to do with your TSN's prior problems.

Let's start with the basics.

-- What is the tank's NH3, NO2, NO3 in ppm and pH and temp?
-- Are they stable?
-- And what test kit are you using and
-- how fresh is it?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
unblinded
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Hooks, Texas
Location 2: United States

Post by unblinded »

Do you use public water? They put nasty chemicals in public water sometimes that can have adverse affects on fish.
Catfish Addict Posing As Cichlid Enthusiast
Mreque

Post by Mreque »

unblinded wrote:Do you use public water? They put nasty chemicals in public water sometimes that can have adverse affects on fish.
No we have our own water that smells like eggs and tastes like iron ^^. Starting to think that the water from the well is the problem. And i cant fill 155 gallons with bottled water :D
Im out of ideas.

And my PH is 8.3 no2 no3 etc etc is fine. KH about 6-7.
If i add waterlife 6.5 buffer i get it down, but it raises steady and fast again. So my water must be buffered somehow...
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Iron is toxic to fish.

Depending on concentration, hydrogen sulfide, mercaptanes, and other related inorganic and organic sulfure compounds can be toxic-to-lethal to any living organism.

Small RO systems are not that expensive.

Charcoal filters making drinking water, like Brita, may work too, especially if iron is chelated/complexed by organic ligands in your well water and the sulfide is actually a kind of the mercaptane. H2S is too small and goes through RO membranes but it is adsorbed by charcoal.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Mreque

Post by Mreque »

Viktor Jarikov wrote:Iron is toxic to fish.

Depending on concentration, hydrogen sulfide, mercaptanes, and other related inorganic and organic sulfure compounds can be toxic-to-lethal to any living organism.

Small RO systems are not that expensive.

Charcoal filters making drinking water, like Brita, may work too, especially if iron is chelated/complexed by organic ligands in your well water and the sulfide is actually a kind of the mercaptane. H2S is too small and goes through RO membranes but it is adsorbed by charcoal.
This water is what we drink every day, its tested and has low lvls of iron.
That it tastes and smells is due to the fact that we do not run it thru carbon. But i have carbon in the filters, alot of it. have tried without. Other fish isnt affected as i said, and my health is perfect.

And my FE tests say that there is iron, but not harmful, not even close.

RO system ? You mean a Reverse osmosis i assume. Well, no not that expensive but neither cheap. Atleast 2500SEK And thats about 300 Euro. But i will look into it.
Any good site on how to hook it up? And can i instead run it in a freshwater sump instead of running the fresh water thru RO before i fill the tank ?

Ty and sorry for my english. =)
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

With this new info, an RO is perhaps not needed.

I never used a small RO - I have the whole house and the fish room on RO. I imagine you wanna run it to fill your temporary holding vessel, adjust it for hardness, salinity, pH, temperature, etc. and then use for the water changes.

But again, this is a serious undertaking that needs to be considered only if there is a well-understood reason.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com