feeding BN fry

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
richnikki
Location 2: usa

feeding BN fry

Post by richnikki »

hello all-im new to this breeding plecos. got my 1st batch of 50+ 1/2 in, 1/2 out of the cave. i got some squash hanging over the side about 8 inches and feeding wafers-wondering really what to feed the fry.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Re: feeding BN fry

Post by Barbie »

There are articles and a good number of threads on the board for how to feed fry. The search feature is available in the main bar at the top of the page. Basically you need to feed them a LOT of what you feed the adults, with water quality to handle the waste. That usually means a larger tank than you think you need and frequent water changes. People that are having trouble raising fry are almost always, IME, starving the fry or polluting the tank. It's a fine balancing act ;).

Barbie
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

Echoing what Barbie said. When my male is still sitting on eggs or wrigglers, I move the cave and all to a 20 gallon fry tank, and once the fry are out, feed heavily with NLS wafers, canned green beans, zucchini and lettuce leaves, etc. Water change every day and sometimes twice a day.
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Post by vanillarum »

Congrats on your fry. To answer your question, I feed my fire red fry a combo of NLS Grow, Kens golden pearls, froz daphnia, and froz baby brine shrimp. I feed mine twice a day. Good luck.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
elephant
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Milford, CT, USA

Post by elephant »

a few other things I've found to work well:

For brand-new wrigglers, I've had the best luck with moving zucchini that has already been in the tank for 2-3 days right outside the cave entrance so it's easy to find. Also makes a great snack for dad if he leaves the cave quickly for a minute.

-fresh green beans that are cooked thoroughly(!) -- think navy green, not forest green
-older plants & driftwood from another tank (covered in small amounts of yummy algae, bacteria, etc.)
-Algae tablets (I've had the best luck with Omega One & Hikari)
-Sweet potato (par-broiled) & zucchini (raw) -- anchored at the BOTTOM of the tank (if it floats or is clipped to the side, they don't seem to figure it out.

I also recently purchased large Manzanita branches for a new tank -- they were supposed to be power-washed & boiled before I received them, so I soaked them in very hot water for a few days & popped them in the tank, as they were too large for me to boil at home. Of course they started growing a lot of white fungus. My solution? Move them to the BN grow-out tank & let them be useful. 2 days later that driftwood is spotless! They love it :)

Amanda
richnikki
Location 2: usa

Post by richnikki »

ihave zuchini and yellow squash in there for now-and then throw the veggie wafers in. i try to clean it once a day-them little things are everywhere. odd though-got about 35 out of the cave-and dad is still there with about 10 left to come out?
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Post by vanillarum »

Not odd. They come out at all different time intervals. Good luck.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

They will also go back into the cave with him at times. I think an often overlooked food source for these guys is a little crushed flake food with all their veggies. It isn't as much work and will supplement them nicely. I use NLS grow pellets with their small size and high fiber and protein.

Barbie
exasperatus2002
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 13
Location 2: allentown PA

Post by exasperatus2002 »

I fed mine algae wafers, zucchini, green beans & flake food.
dan1984
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Sydney

Post by dan1984 »

Congrats on the fry!

Like most replys here, I feed my fry a combination of algae wafers and veggies such as carrot, zucchini and sweet potato. I pop the slices of veg on a paper towel and put them in the microwave for about 30 seconds then let them cool before adding to the tank. This will help them sink without needing to anchor them to the bottom.

I havent found the fry to be too fussy so keep up a good supply of food and maintain frequent water changes and the fry should thrive.

Goodluck

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”