Plecos going upstream?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
xander
My cats species list: 21 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:0)
Location 1: MN USA

Plecos going upstream?

Post by xander »

I noticed my bristlenose was missing when I fed my fish the other day. I thought well there goes another one. I used to have two. The smaller one just up and disappeared. So I figured this one had just up and disappeared as well. I figured I ought to check my HOB power filter. Yep he was in there. I don't know if he'll do it again but its a descent hidin' spot for a fish that size. I just hope he doesn't think so.
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

this happens to a lot of people, be careful cause once trapped in there some specimens can die.

Worst I've ever experienced is plecos going about halfway out of the water right after a water change, on the outflows from the HOB's... getting the algae that's built up there since the last time they could reach it... it's pretty funny to see them... so far I haven't been able to get a picture though.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

When I first started raising albino bristlenose, I had a sponge prefiltered aquaclear hang on filter. I tore that thing APART three or four times, trying to figure out how the hell it was sucking fry up through that sponge. D'oh, it took seeing a fry climbing the outflow before it dawned on me how they were getting in there :p With the Aquaclears, I'd see through the box and see them all wedged in behind the sponge, and assume they'd lived through an impellor ride. Still not sure why it didn't click for me how they were getting in there, but I eventually switched to sponge filters because I got tired of rescuing them on a daily basis :lol:

Barbie
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Xander,
I had a huge female Ancistrus that used to jump into the power filters and clean them of algae before jumping back into the tank. Used to scare me as she made a large spalsh every time she did this. That said, she never missed and continued doing this for about six years. One solution is to use Biowheels as they stop the fish from entering the filter. Many loricariids will try to do this because the filter is usually where the best current is and its location high in the tank means that the filter outlet usually has lots of great algae since it is very close to the aquarium's lights.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Mirra
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta

Post by Mirra »

have you seen NEMO
:D

I was almost couldn't watch when he was in the filter.
:D
MackIntheBox
Location 1: Dallas, TX

Post by MackIntheBox »

Shane wrote:Xander,
I had a huge female Ancistrus that used to jump into the power filters and clean them of algae before jumping back into the tank. Used to scare me as she made a large spalsh every time she did this. That said, she never missed and continued doing this for about six years. One solution is to use Biowheels as they stop the fish from entering the filter. Many loricariids will try to do this because the filter is usually where the best current is and its location high in the tank means that the filter outlet usually has lots of great algae since it is very close to the aquarium's lights.
-Shane
That is a show you could charge money for, lol

would love to see that happen :)
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
The Doctor (Robot, 1974/5)
TheSlackersLounge Home for Slackers ;)
SLAP, SLAP, SQUISH! (Penny-Arcade)

Return to “Speak Easy”