Where is best place to purchase fish, LFS or mail order?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
marops
Location 1: USA

Where is best place to purchase fish, LFS or mail order?

Post by marops »

I know this question is wayyyyy subjective, as many LFS (I'm assuming after seeing this acronym everywhere, that it means: Local Fish Store) vary with thier quality.

I live in Boston, MA, USA, and know of a few "decent" shops, but have never mail ordered fish.

What generally, do you folks use?

Thanks,
-Jack
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

This depends on what kind of cats you are after. Quite a number of the better outlets specialize in fish from a particular geographic area.
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

I do both. My LFS is great about bringing in oddballs, plecos and things I like, so I go through him, but every once in a while I do find something I won't likely see through him so I go through people online. If I can get it locally, even if it's more expensive, and it rarely is, I get it here
flyinmike
Location 1: Ft. Worth, TX USA
Interests: Plecos, plecos, and more plecos

Post by flyinmike »

I do both. My fav LFS tries to have a good assortment of plecs and I have also had very good luck with aquabid.com. You just have to be sure and read the sellers feedback before you bid. 8)
Plecos are the true centerpieces of any aquarium. Everything else just swims around them!!

27 members of Loricariidae, 12 different species.
marops
Location 1: USA

Post by marops »

Thanks, All!

I am definitely biased towards keeping LFS in business by purchasing there when I can, even if the prices are higher; I believe it's part of the hobbyist's responsibility to keep the _good_ shop's open, as it benefit's both parties.

Now I gotta find a good shop in area to do biz with.

-JC
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

I usually go to my local lfss as they give me better prices since they know me. Also whats very popular here in Germany is buying/trading/getting for free fishes from private hands. On most German forums theres a trade corner for the users.
Ive never mailordered any fishes.
cheers
Christian
crocodylus
Location 1: Baja California

Post by crocodylus »

I have always bought from the LFS, always been afraid of receiving dead fish or something other then what i wanted, also the S&H can inflate the cost of the fish. Only thing i have bought online where supplies and plants
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

Croc, reputable stores will have a live arrival guaruntee.
crocodylus
Location 1: Baja California

Post by crocodylus »

yes, i agree with that, but pictures can be deceiving ... its better to see what you are geting before purchasing :razz:
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I'd have to disagree on that one. I've ordered hundreds of fish online, if not more, and as long as you trust the person or company you are ordering them from, and they have a good reputation, you should have no problem getting the fish you are looking for. It's one of the reasons that it is very important to check into those same reputations before you order though, also.

Barbie
Gaberiel
Location 1: Melbourne

Post by Gaberiel »

I must say that I personally preffer to go Local, But where I live In Australia our Local shop's usually have a very good variety, and the shop owners are very tending to the fishes care.

But If you dont have a good local sorce Find a trusted online Fish shop, Youll find that manny online stores hold very honourable quality ethics and will be very helpfull.

-Gaberiel

Return to “Speak Easy”