L264 - leporacanthicus joselimai, temperature question

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Pooks73
Location 1: NYC

L264 - leporacanthicus joselimai, temperature question

Post by Pooks73 »

i know that this species is listed as preferring water temp of 80 degrees (27C), but can it thrive in a higher temp? i found one of these in my lfs tonight, and i really want to get it for my 90 gallon, but i'm concerned about the temperature of the tank. my 90 is a discus tank, and is kept at 86 degrees. i do have supplemental air diffusers on it for gas exchange, and the tank gets 3 water changes a week of 30-40%. pH 6.8, heavily planted. other inhabitants are 6 5" discus and 4 3" clown loaches.

has anyone kept this species at this high a temperature? what type of long term issues might there be?

thanks for the help!
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

I'd say it shouldn't be a problem, you might bring your discus down to 82-83, there really isn't much need for the higher temps.
Pooks73

Post by Pooks73 »

thanks, i was hoping to hear that :D

i did have the discus at 83 at one point, and their appetite was noticeably decreased, and their behavior was very sluggish and they just kind of sat around. turns out that the breeder raised them in 88 degrees, so the lower temp was really effecting them. i raised it to 85 and things really improved. right now it's at 86 due to slightly warm temps in the area. it's usually 85 or 86 at any given point.
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

The room temperature here in Singapore is about 27-28 degrees and sometimes can reach to 29-30 degree. And all my fishes are still doing fine.. Guess its ok for that temp, just do the temp rise gradually.
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

hmm, my discus tank actually ranges from about 81 to 87 or so, due to the lighting. ;) metal halide creates a lot of heat... and that icecap variable speed fan takes care of most of it, but... but are you keeping wild fish or something? that'd be the exception, and even then... 82 shoulda been ok, but if 86 works better, do that, should still be fine
Pooks73

Post by Pooks73 »

well i gave in an picked it up this morning. i've decided to keep it in another tank until it's a little bigger, it's maybe 2" right now. i think that it would be lost in the 90 right now. this way also when it's time to move it into the larger tank, i can gradually increase the temp and allow it to acclimate to it.

also, how do you sex this species? thanks!

Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

also, how do you sex this species? thanks!
From the Cat-eLog:

"Adult males have a much longer and broader head with small odontodes on the sides of head, more odontodes on pectoral fin spine and on the whole body, a bigger dorsal fin and normally a prettier coloration."
Pooks73

Post by Pooks73 »

thanks..i think i have a male then. it has odontodes all over it's body, and a long snout.
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Also see this post
INXS
Location 1: Litchfield, CT

Post by INXS »

Pooks,
mine like to hang on the driftwood in front of the filteroutflow - they don't seem terratorial but I would definitly have wood with them.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”