Euchilichthys guentheri?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
rommer
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:2)
Location 1: The netherlands, Leeuwarden
Location 2: The netherlands, Leeuwarden
Interests: West-Africa

Euchilichthys guentheri?

Post by rommer »

Hi all,

I placed in this topic:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 13&t=34304
some pics of a death , as it was identified by Silurus

Now i was able to make some pics of four living fish i got. I was wondering of there also the are some other species

Fish 1 (dark/black one)

Fish 1 and Fish 2 (fish 2 is more grey and looks different), fish 2 is the lower fish who only shows his head

Fish 3 (dark/black one)

Fish 4 (more grey)

First question is: are this fish the same species and are the

next question: Any tips on keeping them (besides the information in the cat-eLog)?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 889
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 422
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Euchilichthys guentheri?

Post by Silurus »

These look the same as the dead fish.
amiidae
My images: 547
My cats species list: 82 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 179
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Singapore

Post by amiidae »

We have a batch of 15 Euchilichthys sp. landed some time back. Most of them were badly scared and wounded as the shipper put them all together in one bag during shipping. I was surprised to see most of them recovered within 1 week after landed without any medication in the quarantine tank of the shipper.

They are very aggressive towards the look alike fish. I have 2 in a 120g. They are doing well. They took abt 2-3 wks to settle and now actively feeding in the open when I drop food in the tank.

oh ya, I think I have 2 diff species as one with some white markings and broader while the other without the marking near the head area and also more slim on dorsal view.
PREDATORY FISH KEEPERS FB GROUP --> https://www.facebook.com/groups/166535030633179/
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

The only thing to emphasise is that they can be extremely territorial when space is at a premium. Even with good amounts of space they tend to like to want the same spot on occasions (flow, O2 levels?)

And they are very intolerant of nitrate build up - good water maintenance is a must.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Loracidlover
My images: 2
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: southwest england

Post by Loracidlover »

I have a single specimen of E.guentheri I got for free from an importer as it came in as a "contaminant" with some wild caught kribs, and it looked in such poor condition the supplier was convinced it wouldn't make it. It was around 1" SL when I got it and astonishingly thin. It recovered very quickly and is now 6" SL give or take, about 2 years later.

As far as keeping goes, it has been generally undemanding, eating just about anything, but is, as others have noted, very aggressive and tough, it shares a cave with a Pseudacanthicus sp. L024 that is about 11" SL, despite the pseuda constantly trying to evict it. I can't think of many other fish that would stand up to such a spiny cave-mate.

Conrad.
rommer
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:2)
Location 1: The netherlands, Leeuwarden
Location 2: The netherlands, Leeuwarden
Interests: West-Africa

Post by rommer »

Thank you all for the answers!

I got four of them. Number 4 (on the picture) is in a different tank because he looked really badly when he arrived

Number 1 is mostly laying on the wood (as shown in the picture) and number 2 who i believe could be a different species (more grey and a little different shaped) is mostly on the same wood.

Number 3 is as dark colored as number 1. And he lives below the piece of wood where number 1 and 2 are staying (see the pic).

They are almost always on the same place. I haven't seen them eating but a night i feed also so i think (and hope) that they are eating then.

I have seen some little fighting (more pussing away), we shall see how that developt. The tank is 2 meter so i hope they all find there on place and can live together. Otherwise i have to seperate them.

Bringing in number 4 to the tank seems not a good idea? Or do you think i could try it because it's a large tank?

Return to “African Catfishes”