need suggestions for 100gal.........

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
juanitoman
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: texas

need suggestions for 100gal.........

Post by juanitoman »

what is the largest sized cat i can add to my 100gallon fish tank?? /:)
i know i can add pictus, 4line pim, sun cats,syns, banjos,
but i was looking for maybe something different if any one gots any suggestions......... :techie-typing:
-thanks-
YEAAA BOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!
plecomanpat
My cats species list: 71 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 17 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 1: Clarkston, Michigan, USA
Location 2: clarkston michigan
Interests: Hunting, fishing, hockey, woodworking

Re: need suggestions for 100gal.........

Post by plecomanpat »

How about a redtail cat,but he will eat everything.Maybe a planaceps
Lets go Red Wings
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

plecomanpat wrote:How about a redtail cat,but he will eat everything.Maybe a planaceps
Anything called redtailed catfish (aside from possibly ) will be far too large for a 100g tank.

The largest fish, assuming "normal" activity levels, would be the smallest size of either a quarter of the longest or half the shortest side of the tank. So if the tank is, say 6ft x 19 x 20, the longest side divided by four is 18", the shorter sides halved is 9.5" and 10" respectively. So the max size for this shape tank is 9.5". If on the other hand the tank is a 120g, 4ft x 2ft x 2ft, the largest size is 12".

For active fish, the swimming area needs to be bigger, so the max size may be 1/6 of the longest or 1/3 of the shortest side.

--
Mats
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

A 100G tank would be ridiculously small for Redtail or Planiceps (& if i'm honest a little disappointed they would be sugested!) Anyway back to the original question....

Firstly some questions ... What would you like to achieve? Do you want a single individual? a single species? a certain amount of activity with fishes visible? (what is different for one person might be the norm for someone else).

How about a breeding group of Platystacus? Or a species tank of Chrysichthys Ornatus? Or maybe a well planted tank with a shoal of 40 glass cats or 40 otocinclus?
The possibilities are huge but without your input on preferences we might be suggesting things that don't interest you.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
juanitoman

Post by juanitoman »

well thats why i want suggestions. i want different opinions. i dont mind much the activity i just want some or just one nice catfish(s) for my 100gal. ima be stuck with it for maybe another year or two, then ima try to get something bigger.... \M/
all suggestions are appreciated :-C
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

The problem with suggestions is that what someone thinks is a perfect group of catfish, another person will think that it's not particularly good idea.

The obvious choices are:
1. Large group of corys - you'll have lots of enjoyment of them wizzing around looking for food - in 100gal tank, you can keep a fairly large number of them - depending on size, 30-50 would probably work. Examples: , , - there are hundreds of others...

2. Medium size group of smaller plecos. Again, with a large group, 10-20 of them (of one or two species) there will probably be some fish on show at any given time. Some examples: , , - agaain, many hundreds of others.

3. Small group of medium plecos. As above, but smaller group. Examples , - several dozen others...

4. Community synodontis tank: small or medium sized Synos - 6 to 20 depending on which you go for, , , , , and many others.

5. Small Pimelodus tank: a group of around 10 ?

6. Woodcats setup: small or medium sized Woodcats, such as , , - and a whole number of others. These will probably hide most of the time...

These are but a few examples of what you could do... After all, there are 2700 species in the database, and I'd expect about 1000 of those would work in a 100 gal tank...

--
Mats
Proteus
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Chicago, IL

Post by Proteus »

My answer for the largest cat you can do in a 100g tank depends on its footprint of the tank itself and the size of the tankmates it's going to have.

Keep in mind about those two factors when trying to figure out which cat strikes your fancy. Some cats can't be with fish the same size as them as they will eat them with no problems, just have to figure out what the tank mates are going to be in the tank with them or are you planning on having it by itself for life?

Also some cats you will never ever see unless you're redecorating your tank or it's very dark and you're feeding them in the middle of the night.
juanitoman

Post by juanitoman »

well its 60" long 20.5" high & 19" wide.
and well i wanted to add some Cichlids not too aggressive. :banana-angel:
and yea i know i use too have some south american bumble bee & rafael cats that i hardly ever saw except for when i would turn on the lights at time during the middle of the night. also use to have a medium sized sun cat which loves to hide, but i would see him a little more often.
i had him with a 9" four lined pictus and 12" oscar.
now that i got a bigger tank im looking for something different....... :text-bump: :techie-typing: :techie-reference:
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I take it someone has told you that a 12" Oscar is too big to be suitable in the tank you have now, right?

--
Mats
juanitoman

Post by juanitoman »

i dont got the oscar anymore or any of my other fish.
just a common pleco at the moment & my mud turtle

Return to “Tank Talk”