Treating a tank with Corys for Ich

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Rynofasho
Location 2: St. Louis, MO

Treating a tank with Corys for Ich

Post by Rynofasho »

Hello all,

I've noticed that one of my fish is developing Ich in my community tank. It is a 36 gallon with some Danios, Rasbora, corydoras paleatus, a couple BN plecs, and a Betta.

The Betta is breaking out pretty bad now, so I know that I need to treat the whole tank, however I have read a great deal about the negative impact of aquarium salt, sustained high temperatures, and medication on Cory cats.

That said, which is the least of the three evils above? I'd like to obviously rid my tank of this, however I'm not sure how to go about it without killing all my catfish, and Google / other forums are full of conflicting information so I thought I would ask here.

If you have any pointers, please let me know. Thank you.

Best,

Ryan
Coryologist
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 11
My cats species list: 70 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Laurel Lake, NJ
Location 2: Laurel Lake, NJ
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

Re: Treating a tank with Corys for Ich

Post by Coryologist »

Asked and answered on another forum. - Frank
I used to be schizophrenic, but we're OK now. At least that's what my dog is always telling me!

Hear podcasts of "Sounds Fishy to Me," here:
http://www.aquaradio.net
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Frank, do you mind posting a link to (or a copy of) the answer, in case someone finds this post and wants to know what the answer is?

--
Mats
Coryologist
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 11
My cats species list: 70 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Laurel Lake, NJ
Location 2: Laurel Lake, NJ
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

Post by Coryologist »

Greetings. Ryan stated on another forum that he read that most ich medications were potentially harmful to Corys. I posted that I was not aware of any commercial treatments that posed any threat to the well-being of his Corys, if used as recommended.

Additionally, I said that I thought the best course of action would be to QT the betta and treat it, rather than his tank, unless, of course, he could determine that others in the tank, were infected.

Personally, I would teat the tank, also, as the pathogen is present and can start another life-cycle, unless eliminated, completely.

Cheers. - Frank
I used to be schizophrenic, but we're OK now. At least that's what my dog is always telling me!

Hear podcasts of "Sounds Fishy to Me," here:
http://www.aquaradio.net
Rynofasho

Post by Rynofasho »

I saw your answer on TFF, however I tend to disagree about common Ich medications not harming scaleless fish. IE API Super Ick Cure states clearly on it that it may harm scaleless fish and to use 1/2 the normal dose.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has any good or bad experience with some common Ich products so I can purchase the safest one for my Corys.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Rynofasho wrote:I saw your answer on TFF, however I tend to disagree about common Ich medications not harming scaleless fish. IE API Super Ick Cure states clearly on it that it may harm scaleless fish and to use 1/2 the normal dose.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has any good or bad experience with some common Ich products so I can purchase the safest one for my Corys.
I think what Frank said about "when used as recommended" is exactly what the "use half normal dose" is referring to. Some medications should be used at lower dose when used with catfish (and several other types of fish).

--
Mats
Rynofasho

Post by Rynofasho »

I overlooked the part about 'when used as recommended' aka the 1/2 dose. Sorry for the confusion and thank you!
PanzerFodder
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: North York, Ontario, Canada.

Post by PanzerFodder »

I don't know if this will help at all, but I bought some hatchet fish a few months ago that developed ich in my main tank.

Although none of my other fish looked like they had contracted it , I decided to treat the tank as if they had, I use a product by Mag-Float Labs called "Ick-Ease" http://www.bigalsonline.ca/Fish_Health- ... ml?tc=fish

It says it ok to use at full dosage bottom feeders without raising the tep to 85'F it did not hurt any of my corys as far as I could see, they just carried on as normal, also the ich virus never appeared in my tank again, so I guess that this product works as it says it does.

Cheer's...PanzerFodder...
Last edited by PanzerFodder on 22 Jan 2011, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I'm pretty sure you don't mean 85'C but 85'F.

--
Mats
PanzerFodder
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: North York, Ontario, Canada.

Post by PanzerFodder »

You are correct Mat, I edited my last post so the temp is correct

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”