need advice from Synodontis lucipinnis breeders

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
bovsbaitboxes
Location 2: Neptune NJ

need advice from Synodontis lucipinnis breeders

Post by bovsbaitboxes »

have a colony of 19 @ 3"in a 30 gallon tank they are about breeding age (I think) I have a breeding cave (flower pot with black marlbes with a hose hooked up to pull eggs out to breeder box) also have a few other flower pots in there (1 is where they all hide during the day) should I have the other pots in there or just the breeding one (if just the breeding one they would also hide in there during the day) also what temp do you keep water and should I use brine shrimp, black worm or anything else to try to get the females ready also on the breeder cave should I put the hole on top or on the side right above the marbles :thumbsup: thanks for any advice John
Last edited by bovsbaitboxes on 29 Sep 2010, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: need advice from petricola breeders

Post by MatsP »

19 fish in a 30 gallon tank sounds quite a bit, considering that S. petricola isn't a tiny fish - they should grow to about 5", but are probably able to reproduce at 3" or so.

By the way, it's most likely that you have "petricola dwarf", which is now recognized as a different species, - I can't remember when last time we saw someone writing about S. petricola and actually owning THAT species [aside from one or two of the regular Syno experts, that is], rather than the much more common S. lucipinnis.

--
Mats
bovsbaitboxes

Re: need advice from Synodontis lucipinnis breeders

Post by bovsbaitboxes »

fixed it but still need advice
bovsbaitboxes

Post by bovsbaitboxes »

its a 36"x13"x16" foot print tank do you really thinkits to small small? they all look happy and swimeverywhere and they all hang out in a 4"x4" flowerpot all the time
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Well, if we assume your fish are around 2.5", then you have nearly 50 inches of fish in a 30 gallon tank, where the recommended stocking level is about 1" per gallon - so you are nearly twice the recommendation. Sure, if you have very good filtration and good waterchange regime, it can be done - but for breeding, you want the best possible setup - perhaps taking half the fish out and putting them in another tank would be a good plan...

--
Mats
syno321
I've donated: $127.00!
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by syno321 »

Re: stocking levels - I have been succesful breeding the lucipinnis since the early 1990s with 6 adults, max. 7, in a twenty gal. tank
Ask not...
bovsbaitboxes

Post by bovsbaitboxes »

how about a 55 gallon tank for them it would be on a central system changing the water 3 1/2 times an hour (480 gallons of water 1550 gallon an hour pump) also there are 9 from the group that are about 2" need to know how to get them ready for breeding I will move them to a bigger tank need specs (temp water change {lower temp? }food ect ect ) :thumbsup: thank you John
bovsbaitboxes

Post by bovsbaitboxes »

matt in doing what you said could you help answer the other questions posted thanks John
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Whilst Lucipinnis are not too difficult to breed in a variety of set-ups, we need to understand your primary objective. Is breeding your main intent? or do you want to keep a group in good conditions & hope they breed?

If breeding is your #1 priority then i would suggest that you separately condition up the 'best' female in a breeding tank, whilst at the same time separately condition up the 'best' male in a different tank. When the female appears to be gravid, introduce the male to the breeding tank combined with a water change. Adults need to me of adequate maturity in terms of size & age for success but this method is used for natural spawnings of Granulosa, Petricola & Lucipnnis & is the best way forward for breeding.

If you want to keep a group & hopefully have spawning as a by-product, the number/density per volume, you have may be slightly offputting for prospective spawners
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
mikey
My cats species list: 46 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 22
Location 1: Raymore, MO, USA
Location 2: Raymore, MO, USA
Interests: corys, plecos, madtoms and synos

Post by mikey »

I have found the lucipinnis pretty easy to spawn as well. My setup is a 48 x 18 tank (12 inches tall). There are 15 good sized adults. I feed mine strictly high protein flake and pellet foods. NLS, Earthworm flakes, and Brine Shrimp Flakes. I have one pot with a hole in the side that the fish can barely fit in. Temp is around 77 degrees. I think the best advice I can give you in completely pour the water from your egg collector every day. The eggs are tiny, clear and hard to see. They will throw eggs everyday like tetras. They do seem to take a few weeks off, but breed a lot. Feel free to shoot me an email at captmiketropicals@att.net if you have any questions. Good luck. The babies are cool!
mikey
My cats species list: 46 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 22
Location 1: Raymore, MO, USA
Location 2: Raymore, MO, USA
Interests: corys, plecos, madtoms and synos

Post by mikey »

One other thing. Since you have so many, I would split your colony into two tanks. I have had a tank crash and lost a whole breeding colony. That really sux. It is just a good back up plan:)
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Post by Scleropages »

mikey wrote:I have had a tank crash and lost a whole breeding colony. That really sux.
I know all about that (with my S. alberti). They weren't breeding yet, but they were definitely at the right size after having grown them out for two years when they all went belly up.

Good advice all around, Mike. Thanks!

Return to “African Catfishes”