Lemon tetra breeding with egg and fry picture

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
unotim123
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 1: Manisa
Location 2: Turkey

Re: Lemon tetra breeding with egg and fry picture

Post by unotim123 »

apistomaster wrote:That first photo is a planarian worm which the fry will not eat.
But it seems fairly obvious that the fry found only enough to eat to support the few survivors. It is easy enough to try again once you have some fresh brine shrimp eggs to use.
Larry,be sure fry eat planaria.I saw it while eating from glass.But we couldnt take a video.Because of photo machines quality.I swear they eat planaria(perhaps it is another species that very similar to planaria)on aquarium glass.Its size almost 0.2 to 0.5 cm.
Forever cory!!

Onur ŞAHİN
unotim123

Post by unotim123 »

And again a perfect photo. :wink:
Forever cory!!

Onur ŞAHİN
Farid
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
Location 1: Switzerland/Zurich

Post by Farid »

hi unotim,
the picture is very nice and very sharp!! nice work.

i keep my artemia ALWAYS in the fridge...i have a little bit in a glass for use... all the rest is in the deep freezer...like this they last forever...

also try microworms...(Panagrellus redivivus) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panagrellus_redivivus ...maybe i could send you some!!! i keep them in oat flakes in a mixture with water and yeast (u can buy dry puder in the foodshop) they last for up to 4 weeks then i make a new glass...the worms measure around 1mm

farid
My cats L2,49,47,46,L66,134,181,189,200,201,204,205,208,260,397,LG6,Parotocinclus recife/halderoi,A.ranunculus,Peckoltia sp. "rio palacio",Pseudohemiodon platycephalus/lamina,Hemiodontichthys acipenserinus,Rineloricaria lanceolata,St.festivum,Akysis vespa,Bunocephalus corracoides,Synodontis multipunctatus/grandiops, C.panda,adolfoi,cruziensis
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Hi unotim,

Farid's offer is something you should take him up on.
Since there are always many new born worms in a culture there are sizes most of the commonly commercial produced Tetras, like Lemon Tetra fry, are able to take them as their first foods. Mikroworms have saved many a batch of my fish which produce small fry like wild Betta species and Tetras, from an unexpected bad hatch of brine shrimp. Every so often something goes wrong with a batch. Mikroworm cultures are really easy to keep going and there are many culturing methods that work well.
I use instant mash potato flakes, a pinch of Brewer's Yeast and just enough water to get the desired consistency. The established cultures will have the side walls of the culture container swarming with clean worms and all you have to do is wipe them off with your finger and rinse them off in the fry tank. Or you can mix them in a little water and feed several tanks using a baster.

I also store my Artemia Cysts in the refrigerator. I buy 454 gram cans of the Utah Artemia cysts. I also buy the small 2.75 oz. can of San Francisco Bay Artemia cysts because they hatch out at 2/3 to 3/4 of the size of the larger Utah Cysts which I use as a transitional food.
I imagine most of the Artemia sold in Europe come from different sources but there are many species of Artemia native to different salt lakes around the world which I am not familiar with their relevantly different sizes. In the USA, the eggs sold have excellent hatch rates except some "mini-cysts" I bought from www.jehmco.com, those had poor hatch rates compared to what I'm used to but the actual nauplii were much smaller than others I use.
You have demonstrated your excellent skills as a macro-photographer so now let's see you raise a big batch of Lemon Tetras.
I will soon be trying to breed the first wild caught Red Phantom Tetras I have been able to get and this will be my first attempt to breed this species. I have raised many hundreds of Black Phantoms, Black Neons, Glow Lights and Hyphessobrycon amandae, the Ember tetra.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
unotim123

Post by unotim123 »

Farid wrote:hi unotim,
the picture is very nice and very sharp!! nice work.

i keep my artemia ALWAYS in the fridge...i have a little bit in a glass for use... all the rest is in the deep freezer...like this they last forever...

also try microworms...(Panagrellus redivivus) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panagrellus_redivivus ...maybe i could send you some!!! i keep them in oat flakes in a mixture with water and yeast (u can buy dry puder in the foodshop) they last for up to 4 weeks then i make a new glass...the worms measure around 1mm

farid
Thanks for offer.I can find it here but nowadays a few aquarist have microworm in Turkey.I look for it,I hope find soon.
Forever cory!!

Onur ŞAHİN
unotim123

Post by unotim123 »

apistomaster wrote:Hi unotim,

Farid's offer is something you should take him up on.
Since there are always many new born worms in a culture there are sizes most of the commonly commercial produced Tetras, like Lemon Tetra fry, are able to take them as their first foods. Mikroworms have saved many a batch of my fish which produce small fry like wild Betta species and Tetras, from an unexpected bad hatch of brine shrimp. Every so often something goes wrong with a batch. Mikroworm cultures are really easy to keep going and there are many culturing methods that work well.
I use instant mash potato flakes, a pinch of Brewer's Yeast and just enough water to get the desired consistency. The established cultures will have the side walls of the culture container swarming with clean worms and all you have to do is wipe them off with your finger and rinse them off in the fry tank. Or you can mix them in a little water and feed several tanks using a baster.

I also store my Artemia Cysts in the refrigerator. I buy 454 gram cans of the Utah Artemia cysts. I also buy the small 2.75 oz. can of San Francisco Bay Artemia cysts because they hatch out at 2/3 to 3/4 of the size of the larger Utah Cysts which I use as a transitional food.
I imagine most of the Artemia sold in Europe come from different sources but there are many species of Artemia native to different salt lakes around the world which I am not familiar with their relevantly different sizes. In the USA, the eggs sold have excellent hatch rates except some "mini-cysts" I bought from http://www.jehmco.com, those had poor hatch rates compared to what I'm used to but the actual nauplii were much smaller than others I use.
You have demonstrated your excellent skills as a macro-photographer so now let's see you raise a big batch of Lemon Tetras.
I will soon be trying to breed the first wild caught Red Phantom Tetras I have been able to get and this will be my first attempt to breed this species. I have raised many hundreds of Black Phantoms, Black Neons, Glow Lights and Hyphessobrycon amandae, the Ember tetra.
I hope you will achieve your new species.As I said,I look for microworm.

By the way,ı look the aquarium and I noticed 8 fry. :an: :wink:
Forever cory!!

Onur ŞAHİN
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

There always seems to be at least one more fry than we can see and count when you try to catch them.
unotim123

Post by unotim123 »

The smallest fry.

Two of them swimming together. :)

And 15 days old fry.

I find microworm but it will come to me on Tuesday.
Forever cory!!

Onur ŞAHİN
unotim123

Post by unotim123 »

They are 18 days old.And I still dont give anything to fry.There are 10 fry I could see.

And here is fry video.

http://www.izlesene.com/video/hayvanlar ... su/1223317
Last edited by unotim123 on 21 Oct 2009, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.
Forever cory!!

Onur ŞAHİN
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

They should be willing to take crumbled flake food now.
unotim123

Post by unotim123 »

They are 3 months old now.And I did little water changes only a few times.I give them some FD bloodworm and other foods.
Last edited by unotim123 on 05 Jun 2010, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
Forever cory!!

Onur ŞAHİN
hydrophyte
Location 2: Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Post by hydrophyte »

Nice work. Your pictures are great and this is excellent documentation too.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Great work all-round! :thumbsup:

(just outta interest, this is my mom's favourite fish)
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
cochito
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Shizuoka, Japan

Post by cochito »

unotim123,
You're hella expert :D ! You used tea? Wow, I should try that since my hometown, Shizuoka, Japan, is famous for tea. Congratulations! Could you tell us the way aquarium is regarded in Turkey?
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

About a year ago, some of the Altum Angelfish keepers on http://www.finarama.com, a wild Angelfish forum, were experimenting with tea in their efforts to simulate black water. I don't think anyone who tried continued the practice. It is an interesting idea. The right tea might have some astringent antimicrobial effects like black water. That was the general idea.

I love your fish photography. You are really skilled at it.
unotim123

Post by unotim123 »

cochito wrote:unotim123,
You're hella expert :D ! You used tea? Wow, I should try that since my hometown, Shizuoka, Japan, is famous for tea. Congratulations! Could you tell us the way aquarium is regarded in Turkey?
Thanks for your compliment.Here are nearly %1 of population have an aquarium.But most of them have low techs and here is the aquarium hobby rather expensive.Most of the hobbyist keep african cichlids and discus that are much more suitable for our water.But I prefer to keep catfish,tetra,danio,barbs and rainbows.I have been in the hobby for 10 years.I can try different things referring my biology informations(I am a dentistry student).Tea is one of them and my applications for keeping and breeding fish talked about in Turkey many times.Some people use this methods and others use another methods(especially, frequent water change,keeping in glass to glass tanks,and feed so much).However I dont embrace doing frequent water change,keeping in glass to glass tanks,and feed so much.I try to make clear the water and use fine sand with sludge at the bottom.Then I add natural addition such as tea and dry leaves,roots.
Forever cory!!

Onur ŞAHİN
unotim123

Post by unotim123 »

Here is smallest one and others. :) They are all old 4 months and over 3 cm.
Forever cory!!

Onur ŞAHİN
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

very interesting re the tea and great photos.
Proteus
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Chicago, IL

Post by Proteus »

I did homemade oak leaf thing and it didn't do anything lol

the tea thing might be the trick as I'm trying to get my red line tetras to breed.

Great job on those lemon tetras.
Mattriojas
Location 2: Arcadia Florida

Post by Mattriojas »

Hey I'm new to tetras and I am trying lemon tetras. I heard about the tea thing before but I'm not sure what kin to use. Also does it really work. I've seen the videos on youtube before. I have infusoria and tank setup but they just are not breed I've done water change with no results. Next I wanna add rain water to see if any results come out. I've been wanting to try the tea thing so any help with it will be nice do you have to use plain tea leaves or can you make like normal tea. Please respond I really need the help. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Return to “Tank Talk”