What are my zebras up to?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

What are my zebras up to?

Post by König Löwe »

Friday morning last week I brought back four adult Hypancistrus zebra. In the evening the next day, one of them died, probably from a troublesome bacterial infection that has killed lots of lories. I startet medicating with Sera Bactopur Direct when i found the dead zebra, and It seems to have worked.

Anyways, the tank has four caves, a 15-20 cm ceramic pipe, a cave made from small rocks, a big ceramic cave that was very popular with the cycling fish (keyhole cichlids), and a "catfish" cave made from ceramic. This last one has a much to wide opening, so I'll be putting some slate at the entrance to make it smaller.

The strange thing is that in the ceramic pipe, there is not one, but two zebras hiding. Both are lying with their face innwards from each side. This is something I never really though was very normal, two zebras in the same cave. In the part of the pipe that faces towards the front-glass, the largest of the zebras lies, and I believe it is a male. I have NEVER seen any of them move out of their caves, and I'm sort of fearing that they're not eating. I tied a piece of cucumber to a rock and put it between the two caves that are in use, but after two days it had not been touched as far as I could see. This night, a while after all the lights had gone off, I took my (video)camera and turned on the "nightshot"-feature, which enables me to see stuff in complete darkness. There where two Tetra TabiMin tabelets in the tank, but none of the zebras where moving out of their cave.

When I try pointing a spotlight innto the ceramic pipe with the two zebras inn, the big one each and every time goes a bit innto the pipe and covers it so that I can't look past the zebra in any way... Why does the zebra allways place himself in the same "covering" position? Why doesn't any of them eat?

When I got them, they where all pretty well fed. The tank, wich is 85 litres (apx 20 gallons) and has a powerhead that moves 600 litres per hour (I've removed the filter because of the medicine treatment) and a heater... I would turn this heater to 30 degrees centigrade if I could, but it has a stupid temperature regulation mechanism that makes it impossible to get it past the 27 C mark... The tank has sand as substrate.

If anyone has bothered reading all this stuff, can you tell me what is going on?
doctorzeb
My images: 8
My catfish: 2
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Southwest Scotland
Interests: A healthy obsession with Zebras and some overkeen enthusiasm for doing up an old derilict house!

Post by doctorzeb »

Hi Konig,

If they had been settled a wee bit longer I would say that the male was trying to block the female in the cave to spawn. This can sometimes happen even when the female is not ready. SO it is possible.

The male will block the female in the cave for a number of days, until she spawns, (or until he realises she's not going too).

The male sits at the front of the cave, guarding the entrance, to stop predators, other males from being aggressive, when there is a sign of aggression or threat, the male will move towards, and sheild the female.

If it definatley is a male and female, ( i had two females sharing a cave once before territories were established), then it sounds good. Even if they do not spawn then it shows that there is interest, which is half the battle with zebras.

As for the one that died, I've lost a couple over time as well, with no real reasoning behind it , apart from probably starvation. If they were wild caught then there is quite a high percentage die just because they cannot acclimatise.

Have you tried feeding them frozen bloodworm. Wait till the light goes out, turn off the filter for half an hour and throw in some bloodworm. http://www.qems.biz/zebra.htm

Have alook on the website to see if there is any info that is usefull to you.

cheers rob :lol:

P.S. you should know in 4 - 5 days if she is going to spawn, if not she will leave the cave, is she does then she will leave the cave and leave a bundle of eggs in the back of the cave.
My wife made the mistake of buying me a 2 ft tank and it grew to 7ft.
König Löwe
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Post by König Löwe »

Thanks for a good reply :)

I was sort of wondering if he might be hiding eggs or something in there, but it just seemed TOO unlikely, they've just moved tanks!

I bought them privately from a guy who had kept them in their own tank for two years, so they where all apparently very healthy when I bought them.

I am pretty sure that what killed one of them is the same bacterial infection that has killed five other lories, a "LDA-33" was the first one, next day a Parancistrus aurantiacus that I had only had for three weeks and probably brought in the disease. An ancistrus later died in same tank. Failure to keep the various tanks properly "separated" brought the bacteria to a quarantine tank and killed another Ancistrus and a L-260.

As soon as I get a new filter (canister type) for the zebra tank, I'll start treating the other tanks so I'll hopefully wipe out this damned bacteria from my tanks.

I tried feeding them bloodworms about a day after I got them, but it didn't look as if anyone touched it.

It should be noted that the "other" zebra in the ceramic pipe, the one in the back-part, has stayed there for a week without going anywhere else... Isn't that a bit long?
doctorzeb
My images: 8
My catfish: 2
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Southwest Scotland
Interests: A healthy obsession with Zebras and some overkeen enthusiasm for doing up an old derilict house!

Post by doctorzeb »

hi konig

Yes a week is a bit long. Has the male moved away from the cave during this time, and if so how far.

Just because they are new, doesn't meen that they will not be interested in breeding.

The spawn that I had last moth was with one of my original females, (who had previously shown no interest for 3 years), and a new male, who had only been in the tank for about 10 days. SO it is possible.

Unusally though it is the male that occupies the cave first, then the female enters and is moved to the back. There probably isn't eggs if there are still two fish in there, as the female usually leaves right after the spawn.

just keep your fingers crossed.

cheers

rob
My wife made the mistake of buying me a 2 ft tank and it grew to 7ft.
PhilipAsh
Location 1: Nottingham, UK

Post by PhilipAsh »

Konig

When I first got my zebras, it seemed to take an age for them to start eating.
I am sure nothing was touched for well over a week, and it took sevral weeks for them to feed properly.
They, even now, sometimes go through a patch where they just don't eat for a few days. They always come round in the end.

Try bloodworm, and a couple of defrosted, deshelled, frozen peas. Mine will eat the peas before the bloodworm. (they havent read the rule book yet)
And with the filter off (to stop the flow). They feed much better when there is no water flowing.

When I had a small Peppermint that REALLY wouldnt eat, a dose of Liquisil and Vitazin sorted him out straight away.

Let us know how you go.

Phil.
matpreec
Location 1: Central london, UK

Post by matpreec »

i was recently given a zebra plec (how lucky am i) to go with my (candy striped plec - i think) and a spotted ancistrus and various south american tetras etc.

after only 2hrs of being put into my tank he was feeding on prawns and thin slithers of bacon and other meatscraps (removed after a few hours). ive tried peas, algae tabs, cucmber and various veggie alternatives to no avail.

the 170ltr tank is at 7.0 ph and is decorated with just bogwood and plants.

hes now doing so well he even hand feeds
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

Cool. I always though that L46 are too shy to let you hand feed them...
matpreec
Location 1: Central london, UK

Post by matpreec »

no not at all, hes about all day are they nocturnal or diurnal?) and sits at the front with my other plecs and jostles with the corydoras agassizii.
Stu
Location 1: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post by Stu »

Hi Konig,

Here is a couple of suggestions for you?.

Could you find out what the Zebras previous owner was feeding them on? They may never have seen cucumber or Tetra TabiMin tabelets before and it may take them a while to be weaned on to these types of foods. It took mine a few months before they would take Tetra Prima and now they can?t get enough of it. I would say you can?t go wrong with frozen blood worm or brine shrimp.

Were the Zebras previously kept with other fish? Do you have any other fish in the tank? It could be that they are spooking the Zebras and they are too scared to come out. Or if they were kept with other fish they could need the security of other fish above them.
feeding on prawns and thin slithers of bacon and other meatscraps (removed after a few hours).

Hi Matpreec,

Bacon is not good for fish, or any animal meat. As this can cause serious dietary problems. It can take weeks or months for the effects to show, so although your fish may seem healthy now it doesn?t mean they will stay that way. Small pieces of prawn are fine, but I?d feed them in moderation as too much will quickly sour the aquarium. (I hope this advice is not taken the wrong way, I?m just concerned that you?re feeding animal meat to fish)
König Löwe

Post by König Löwe »

Stu: When I buy fish privately, I usually terrorise the owner with all sorts of questions about minor and major details about how he/she is keeping the fish. Anyway, he used to feed them Tetra TabiMin most of the time, thats why I'm trying first and foremost with that. They are alone in a 85 litre tank, and where alone with the previous owner too, in a 160 litre tank i believe. Blood worms still wound up spread around the bottom of the tank.

I may have succeded in getting them to eat a bit now... I turned of the powerhead this night and put in a TabiMin, and this morning it was gone... I hope it was eaten by the zebras.
Stu
Location 1: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post by Stu »

Hopefully it was just the move thats put them off their food. Good Luck!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”