?Pining Pim Pictus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
chemma
I've donated: $10.00!
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: Sydney

?Pining Pim Pictus

Post by chemma »

Hi,

I have one Pimelodus Pictus who I have had for about 8-9 months. I have noticed (s)he is becoming skinny with no other symptoms. Eating well, as active as usual. Could (s)he need a Pim Pic mate? I have another 4 new ones in quarantine that will be going in to my display tank in a few weeks so my original one will have company.

The display tank is an Aquaone AR-980 with a wet/dry trickle filter(1000L/hr), 250L tank capacity. It has been established a year and has 20% water changes fortnightly. Zero ammonia/nitartes and nitrates usually about 10 or so. pH 7, temp 26 degrees celsius.

Co-inhabitants are one pleco, one black ghost knifefish, 2 featherfin synos, the original pim pic, 2 silver dollars amd a couple of platys who are about to go in a different tank.

I guess what I am asking is it likely that my original pim pic is skinny due to loneliness or illness?

Thanks in advance,

Emma
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: ?Pining Pim Pictus

Post by Silurus »

It might be a gut parasite of some kind.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I agree with Siliurus - try finding some "internal parasite medication". Here in the UK I would recommend Kusuri Wormer Plus, but it's not available [as in illegal to sell] in Australia. You MAY have to find a vet that can prescribe medication for fish.

--
Mats
chemma

Post by chemma »

Thanks guys. Was able to track down some Jungle labs Internal parasite guard, so have done the 25% water change and medicated the tank. Fingers crossed!
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Post by L number Banana »

I have another 4 new ones in quarantine that will be going in to my display tank in a few weeks so my original one will have company.
That will be wonderful too. When I started researching pims for my tank, I kept finding owners saying "An only pim, is a lonely pim." Maybe that's true, too. Good luck with the treatment :)
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
chemma

Post by chemma »

Anyone got any idea as to when I should be able to see a difference post-meds?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I'd say you should see a difference after a day or two.

--
Mats
chemma

Post by chemma »

He seems no different today, behaving normally, still looking skinny. I can give another dose of medicine today so I may do that.

I made a huge mistake with my pims in quarantine :oops: I noticed some white spot and so changed 50% water and put in a dose of ich medicine. I accidentally put in the full dose not the half and now one of my new juvi pims is dead and the others are very sick :( They have had the dose in about 12 hours. I have done another 50% water change this morning and added Seachem Prime, Seachem Stability and Seachem Stresszyme and increased aeration. Is there anything else I can do? I am very cranky at myself for doing this :oops:
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Are there any live foods sold at fish shops in Sydney area? Other than trying to treat it with praziqantal and flubendazole the only other thing I would do in conjunction with using these medications is raise the temp to 84*F and feed any live foods you can get.
I think the prognosis for this sick fish is poor at this point. I would begin the grieving process and look forward to a more enjoyable time with your new P. pictus. 4 makes a nice group and they will add plenty of flash and activity to their new home tank.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
chemma

Post by chemma »

Only one juvi pim left and he doesn't look so good :(
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Sounds like all the newest Pictus were sick when you bought them + the old one being sick.
They are normally a fairly hardy species which takes a lot of neglect or abuse before you bought them to begin dying en masse.
i don't think there is anything you can do to turn this bad siituation around at this point.
chemma

Post by chemma »

I'm afraid to admit Larry but I htink I killed the new ones :oops: I put in a dose of ich medicine into the quarantine tank last night as they had some ich spots and then this morning they were floundering. I put it a full dose, and I think I should have put in a 1/2 dose :( I did a 50% water change as soon as I got up this morning, meaning the medicine had been in the tank about 12 hours, but too long, cause they've all died now. Very disapointing :( Strangely enough, the old one is behaving fine etc, it is only that he is skinny :?:
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

You are most likely correct. many naked skinned catfish or the Loaches are much more sensitive to medications than scale fish. Usually 50% of the dose per directions is a safe amount to try first with fish like these.
You are not alone in making a fatal fish mistake. I have lost my share of fish over the years due to my own errors. We learn(usually) from our mistakes. Sometimes it takes me more than once to not forget my lessons.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”