My L66, first spawning!!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
sturiosoma
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:175)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: United states, Ohio
Location 2: united states,elyria

Re: My L66, first spawning!!

Post by sturiosoma »

Jac where did you get your caves?
jac
My articles: 3
My images: 71
My cats species list: 84 (i:0, k:28)
My BLogs: 15 (i:16, p:755)
Spotted: 45
Location 1: Ede
Location 2: Holland
Interests: Fish of all types but mostly Loricariidae, Callichthyidae and Auchenipteridae. My awesome dogs and walking through nature and taking pictures.

Post by jac »

sturiosoma wrote:Jac where did you get your caves?
Hi,

You've got pm :wink:
Sorry for the late reply.....
Every great achievement begins with a dream ;-)
jac
Interests: Fish of all types but mostly Loricariidae, Callichthyidae and Auchenipteridae. My awesome dogs and walking through nature and taking pictures.

Post by jac »

All the kids have left home :D
I saw an other female already sniffing round the cave of the same male :glasses:

What a great experience it has been smile1
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

so cool, pictures when you can? please? :D
jerry58
Location 2: kent

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
Not over yet one of the best bits is to come and see them grow and grow good to see well done ! :thumbsup:
Hope you have many more to come (now you know how to do it and will be able to tell others).

:D Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
jac

Post by jac »

Update:

As I said, all the baby's have left home. I gave it my best shot to get them on picture but it's not easy :o
They are everywhere and they are fast! And only seem to come out when dusk sets in witch makes it difficult to get a sharp picture with my camera :(
But managed to get some pictures, just have to look closer to see them because they have the same color as the stones :)

Greets Jacqueline :D
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

The L66 will very likely continue to spawn producing a brood about every 30 days.
I highly recommend feeding them Earth Worm and Spirulina Sticks. The fry will thrive on these 2 foods. I use these stick foods almost exclusively to feed my Hypancistrus, Peckoltia and Sturisoma fry. I would feed frozen blood worms to the adults, then later on to the largest fry, at lights out every night.
Sources for the sticks in the USA are:
http://www.kensfish.com
http://www.aquaticeco.com
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
blueblue
Location 1: Asia
Location 2: Asia

Post by blueblue »

Is there any update? The fry should have come out by now :D
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

they are out! you can see them in the pictures above. so cute and wee and blend into the slate!
jac

Post by jac »

apistomaster wrote:The L66 will very likely continue to spawn producing a brood about every 30 days.
I highly recommend feeding them Earth Worm and Spirulina Sticks. The fry will thrive on these 2 foods. I use these stick foods almost exclusively to feed my Hypancistrus, Peckoltia and Sturisoma fry. I would feed frozen blood worms to the adults, then later on to the largest fry, at lights out every night.
Sources for the sticks in the USA are:
http://www.kensfish.com
http://www.aquaticeco.com
Thanks for the info Larry :thumbsup:
I hope they do spawn again. Then I know the first time wasn't a one off :D They are doing very well.
I'm now feeding the fry artemia dust. It's very fine food witch I put in a seringe mix with water and then gently inject between the stones. I've got Shrimp pellets here but no Spirulina or Earth worms sticks. I shall look at the links you've send and try to find some here or order.
jac

Post by jac »

andywoolloo wrote:they are out! you can see them in the pictures above. so cute and wee and blend into the slate!
It's amazing how they blend in :mrgreen:
jac

Post by jac »

More pictures and two short movies during feeding time. Just gives you an idea how many there are :D
I can't count them, they're everywhere and keep shooting off :lol: An estimate do, I counted 13 ones...but there were more...... How great is that :an: I'm a very proud mom!!

Now 22 days old and doing very well.

And the two short movies:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F_3WppwcWU4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F_3WppwcWU4&hl=nl&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pY0QVTC-kBo&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pY0QVTC-kBo&hl=nl&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Yeah!! I figured out how to show the movie directly on to PC :)
jac

Post by jac »

Hi there,

Today another big day for me. I saw my male in a cave with a female again :foggie:
This is the first time I have seen this, two pleco's in a cave. Only a tiny tip of the tailfin was showing of the female infront. Today would be my maintenance day, always on fryday afternoon I change the water 50-75%. But I decided to leave them in peace :) and do the maint. tomorrow.
A few days ago I wanted to ask you all if a male has a preference to his 'own" cave but clearly he doesn't care, he's selected a different cave this time on the otherside of the tank. Or would this be the choise of the female?
I'm very exited if he will have new eggs to father :D It is the same male so I'll trust him blindly this time :wink:

The youngsters are doing fine and growing well. I counted at least 20 last week :D

I'll keep you updated!
Greets Jacqueline
jerry58

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
Fingers crossed best of luck with next possible spawn :thumbsup:

Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

I just saw these videos! cool!! and congratus they are at it again maybe!
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

I just saw these videos! cool!! and congratus they are at it again maybe!
jac

Post by jac »

Update of the baby's now 6,5 weeks old :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-8rOSBCqvyg&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-8rOSBCqvyg&hl=nl&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

definately on my list of fish to own.
What's your favorite Dressing~~
DJ-don
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canberra Australia
Location 2: Canberra Australia

Post by DJ-don »

how big is your tank in litres? i've been trying to breed a few pleco's and i'm just wondering whats the appropriate tank size :thumbsup:
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

DJ-don wrote:how big is your tank in litres? i've been trying to breed a few pleco's and i'm just wondering whats the appropriate tank size :thumbsup:
If you go by the basic rule of 4L x 2L x 2L minumum, where L is the size of the fish, then you'll have a good starting point. Much bigger tanks than that isn't really that beneficial, but obviously, it's better with a big than a small tank.

Most small-mid size plecos are fine in a tank that is about 80-160 liter (20-40 US gal).

--
Mats
jac

Post by jac »

My breeding tanks are 160 liters each. 1 meter by 40cm by 40cm.
jac

Post by jac »

Update of the baby L66 :D
I was totaly amazed how they had grown so I took some more pictures and a short film while feeding.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KwQj0MEf0I4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KwQj0MEf0I4&hl=nl&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
jerry58

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
Thanks for sharing nice to see how they have changed over the weeks and looking good and healthy. :thumbsup:

Jerry
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

so cute! growing up! :thumbsup:

what is that you have holding the rocks and slate up with? those little peg like things? what food are you feeding the babies?
jac

Post by jac »

andywoolloo wrote:so cute! growing up! :thumbsup:

what is that you have holding the rocks and slate up with? those little peg like things? what food are you feeding the babies?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: They are not little pegs :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That are feeding tablets witch I jammed between the rocks so they don't push them on to the ground (then the adults will eat them).
The wood thats in the tank is a extreemly hard tropical kind. I don't know if the baby's are already eating from it tho, they don't get much meaty foods yet only tablets (green tablets, brine shrimp powder and shrimp pellets). I think they are slowly starting to nibble at some meaty foods now.
jac

Post by jac »

Update of the baby L66:

Today was a big day for them. I decided to catch them and put them in there own tank. That will make feeding a lot easier for me :wink: This also would be the first time to find out exactly how many I had. Turns out to be 20 baby's :D Now about 2cm TL and 11,5 weeks old. Is this a good growth rate?

Here are some pictures

The color is a bit flat but that was due to the stress of catching them... They are black and white :wink:
jac

Post by jac »

Yeahhh :an:
After months of seeing females going in and out of the males cave without any succes of eggs I finaly see dad is watching and fanning over his new batch of eggs :D :D

I'm extatic!!!!! I was begining to wonder if I was doing something wrong :wink: Patience my dear, patience :an:
matti2uude
My cats species list: 40 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:9)
Location 2: Toronto, Canada

Post by matti2uude »

I'm glad to hear they spawned again for you.
jac

Post by jac »

Photo update:
The baby's are about 3-4cm tl. Most times they hide under a piece of wood, or like to hang out in a cave. Quite funny seeing all little tails wagging in the entrance :D

Here they are:

DJ-don
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canberra Australia
Location 2: Canberra Australia

Post by DJ-don »

these things loooooook adorable!!!
nice work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”