mid water swimming

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
oneoddfish
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: detroit,michigan
Interests: large cats-odd balls-I also breed alot of different african cichlid. but my favorite thing is collecting RARE or very hard to obtain fish...

mid water swimming

Post by oneoddfish »

I have a 180gal with about 10 different speiciesof corys and a few other types of fish there has been no new fish added to tank in 3months or more. but for the last week or so my 4 albino paleatus have been swimming in one general area but in mid. water they never really go to the bottom they just swim a circlular pattern they do drop down to eat but then come right back up. does anyone have a clue what's going on??
thank's
jerry
what's the matter?---cat got you'r tongue.

Jerry L Brown
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Jerry,
I noticed the same thing in a group of C. leucomelas I brought back a few months ago from the Rio Yavari, Peru. About two weeks later I noticed damage to their barbels and that they were sitting on the sponge filter and ignoring the substrate. I think that this may be an early warning of Cory barbel disease. I changed out the substrate and treated the tank with Binox and everything seems fine now.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
clothahump
Location 1: Deepest Darkest Dorset UK

Post by clothahump »

As Shane stated it is probably a substrate problem, I panic if I see any of my Cory's behaving like that.
I would lay money on it that the others are taking no notice of it at all, just the one species?

Just had a thought that it could be them getting ready to spawn, let us know if they do shortly?
Is there a change of air pressure occuring?
corydorus
Location 1: Singapore and Taiwan
Interests: Books, Corys and Planted Tank

Post by corydorus »

But why only on 1 species ? He had a few others corys species in the tank too.
So don't think is substrate problem.
Dennis Wang aka CoryDorus
corydorus@msn.com

ImageImage
Link: MyPrecious
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Post by König Löwe »

My Corydoras concolor started doing that after i added a new powerhead to the tank. They don't do it all the time, they lie/swim around on the bottom most of the time. My other Corydoras species do it too, but not as much.
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

I noticed that on different Cory species so far. Habrosus do it, my new Aspidoras also and the schultzei also. Mostly in the current in midwater. Imho it has either to do with no other free swimming fish around ergo the free swimming space...or they shoal with midlevel fish...just an idea
cheers
Christian
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

I have 7 C robinae and afaik those are definitely more of a midwater species compared to floorhuggers like aeneus, metae, melanistius etc etc. IME elegans is also more of a swimmer, but not to the level of the robinae. Nothing beats pygmaeus or even better hastatus, tough.
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
oneoddfish
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: detroit,michigan
Interests: large cats-odd balls-I also breed alot of different african cichlid. but my favorite thing is collecting RARE or very hard to obtain fish...

mid water

Post by oneoddfish »

I checked there barbels they seem fine on all my cory's. But I did notice one is alot fatter than the rest wich are all pretty plump.I also noticed they NEVER seperate while all the other species school together they seem to stay away from everyone else.is this a spawning behavior?
what's the matter?---cat got you'r tongue.

Jerry L Brown
Andy
Location 1: Ostersund, Jämtland (Northern Sweden)
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

Post by Andy »

sorry about the extra post, can't delete
Last edited by Andy on 28 Jul 2003, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Andy
Location 1: Ostersund, Jämtland (Northern Sweden)
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

Post by Andy »

Hi

Just curious, has anyone seen C. delphax this midwater swimming?
I've got three in a pretty filled up 190 litre tank and when they're not on the bottom they're swimming about the sides of the tank about halfway up.

Andy

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”