hair algae

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
walshy317
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: manchester

hair algae

Post by walshy317 »

hay guys
is there any catfish that eats algae because iv got the stuff growing on my plants and i dont want it.
so is there a cats fish that eats hair algae?
thanks
marc
fischkringli
My cats species list: 21 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Location 1: On the football-field
Location 2: Germany
Interests: aquariums, football, biologie, Reggae

Re: hair algae

Post by fischkringli »

I dont know any catfish, that eats hair algae. If yes, that would interest me verry much.
You could use snails, like Neritina or Chliton for fighting against the algae. Sometimes it helps to change the water conditions. :thumbsup:
}(((,°> What is life without a passion?
}(((,°> }(((,°>
}(((,°> }(((,°> }(((,°>
}(((,°> }(((,°> }(((,°> }(((,°>

Tippe for ever!!!
walshy317
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: manchester

Post by walshy317 »

20% water change every week
and the water is spotless
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Define "spotless water". And by the way, algae is usually a side-effect of either too much light or not enough plant nutrients (or both).

The only fish that I've actually kept that eat hair algae is Rosy Barbs.

--
Mats
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Post by L number Banana »

MatsP wrote:
The only fish that I've actually kept that eat hair algae is Rosy Barbs.
But not enough :roll: I'm speaking from experience. I would have needed fifty. Maybe they would have eaten more if I didn't feed them? :lol:
I got rid of the hair by small syringe injections on it of Flourish Excel liquid carbon. Drizzle it onto the problem area and it turns orange within a couple days and you can vacuum it up.

I guess I should ask - do you mean black hair algae (black beard) or silky green hair algae?

If it's the silky stuff, Sailfin Mollies will eat it but don't buy a male and female unless you REALLY WANT another 50. Otherwise for the silky stuff, increase current/flow, shorten the hours of lighting or add 5 ml flourish excel daily for a while. Or all three.

Let us know what works for you
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Drizzle it onto the problem area and it turns orange within a couple days and you can vacuum it up
If it is black brush/hair algae you can also get the same results by pouring aquarium water conditioner undiluted and directly on the plants when they are emersed for a water change. The algae turns orange, then gray, then falls off. It will take several treatments, since you can only use so much conditioner per treatment. I specifically used Stress Coat, but any brand should work.

I have to agree that there is no algae eating fish solution to this one. Florida flag fish, mollies, various barbs (esp the SAE), etc have all been advertised as black brush algae eaters. None of them really come through from my experience.

If you have the stuff really bad, a simple bleach treatment is the way to go. Most aquatic plants websites will have an article on this method. The plants/decor are simply dipped in a weak bleach/water solution that instantly kills that algae, rinsed, and returned to the tank. Hair algae, while immune to fishes, scrubbing, and other "normal" algae removal methods basically dies on contact with nearly any mild chemical from water conditioner, to liquid carbon, to a weak bleach solution.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
jimoo
I've donated: $10.00!
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Boston, MA

Post by jimoo »

Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis) have always worked well for when I've had dark green hair algae issues.
jimoo
I've donated: $10.00!
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Boston, MA

Post by jimoo »

Not a short term solution, and doesn't eliminate it though.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I have a few clumps of the thread-like hair algae that grow attached to my largest pieces of wood inmmy 125 gal which reach the surface and therefore just below the lights. I cut it back with scissors to form neater looking balls and integrate it into part of the decor. The Cherry shrimp like to pick through it but don't actually eat it. O2 bubbles form in it and help keep the balls fluffed up.
I figure it makes as much sense as buying expensive the cool water Marimo Alge balls for good money.
In some the tanks I allow it to grow near the surface like in my L333 breeding tank where the Clown Killies I keep in with them use them for an egg laying substrate. These are very small Killiefish and most plants are not dense enough for them so the floating hair algae provides them a good spawning substrate. Corydoras panda also find hair algae a preferred spawning substrate. I make use of it where I can although I wouldn't want it to overwhelm most of my tanks.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Post by L number Banana »

Well now there's a new concept :)
Is it the black or green stuff? I was thinking about your mention of moss balls and how they can be taken apart to make little caves, maybe you could wind your stuff through some plastic mesh and get a nice lawn or lid for a cave. Snippity-snip with the scissors and it could look rather cool. Plastic strawberry baskets would make a nice sized caves and would be easy to keep trimmed.

When life hands you lemons... :thumbsup:
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.

Return to “Tank Talk”