Blue Eye Panaque

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
CanadaPleco
My images: 1
My cats species list: 17 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Haliburton, Ontario, Canada

Blue Eye Panaque

Post by CanadaPleco »

Well I have been offered a Blue Eye as a trade for 6 of my zebras and some money. The blue eye is 15" long he says

Not sure if I should venture into this or not. If I would be ever able to get a mate for him or her.

What are your thoughts?

Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Pleco forums for Canadians
LDA105, L24, L25, L282, L97, L114, L600, L450, L333 "Porto Do Moz", LDA-05
Cristoffer Forssander
I've donated: $10.00!
My images: 76
My cats species list: 42 (i:2, k:0)
My BLogs: 22 (i:25, p:933)
Spotted: 25
Location 1: Sweden, Karlstad
Location 2: SWEDEN
Interests: Plecos, South american C***L and so on...

Re: Blue Eye Panaque

Post by Cristoffer Forssander »

A very nice one. Looks like a male.

I can't say if its a good trade or not...
Guardians Of Catfish
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

6 ADULT & Sexed/sexable zebra plecos is probably a bit pricey for one of those - but 6 juveniles certainly wouldn't be. Of course, that is based on "shop prices" that we've got here in the UK for the respective fish. I'd say 6 sexed/sexable zebras would be around £2-3000 - that's probably around 2500-4000 US dollars - not sure what the Canadian dollar is in relation, indeed, I'm not quite sure what the pound to dollar rate. I've heard of "reasonable size" blue-eyes selling for about £1000 each. They are probably not quite 15" tho' - more like 8-10". Is a 15" fish worth double that of a 8" one? In some cases yes, in some others no.

And if I were to choose one to try to sell on Aquabid or some such, I'd put the Zebras up for sale - whilst blue-eyed plecos are very nice and large ones are definitely rare and collectable, there are more people who have the money AND ability to care for a zebra pleco, than there are people willing to pay lots for a blue-eyed pleco. That's my personal opinion, but in the end, it's your fish that you'd be trading.

--
Mats
CanadaPleco
My images: 1
My cats species list: 17 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Haliburton, Ontario, Canada

Post by CanadaPleco »

My zebras are not sexable, they are only 1.5-2" fish.

I am thinking of doing the trade if I can sell the blue eye to one of my friends, as he would enjoy it more then I. Now if I could have a collection of them it'd love some. One big one would also be pretty cool too, I don't think there are any other ones in Canada at all. This one has been around for quite some time and the Blue Eyes that are on the market now that are newly caught seem too look a bit different.

I really really want to have a go at breeding some large panaques, which is why I had a 3 metre tank built. Ive got 2 males and 2 females of some L330's. This is really the only tank I have that could house the 15" Blue Eye also, would it throw a wrench into the breeding plans of the L330's???

Decisions, decisions. I just don't know what to do.
CanadaPleco.com - Pleco forums for Canadians
LDA105, L24, L25, L282, L97, L114, L600, L450, L333 "Porto Do Moz", LDA-05
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

I don't think there are any other ones in Canada at all.
I would not say at all...but definitely few and far between, a couple I have heard of ended up getting shipped to the states, but they do pop up now and then (years apart)always as singles. It would sure take time and money and a little luck to get a small group or a sure pair.
Birger
calsonic
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: bury st edmunds, england

Post by calsonic »

i would bite someones hand off for that fish it sounds like a good offer i couldnt buy one for the price of 10 1.5 inch zebras

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”