can Iron be a problem?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Berger
Location 1: South Dakota

can Iron be a problem?

Post by Berger »

I'm back at home for the summer and my parents well water seems to have a lot of iron. We have a reverse osmosis filter that takes most of it out, but I keep running it dry while I'm filing up my two tanks that I bought home.

I was wondering if iron would be a problem for my plecos? (Rubbernose and Clown)

Berger
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

hey there, I dunno, I don't imagine it'd be too bad, but if you're worried, throw in a couple hardy plants that feed from the water column, I think they'd take care of the iron problem... ;) there are those of us who have to add iron...
Berger

Post by Berger »

I ended up getting distilled water for now since my parents use that for their saltwater.

I'll have to keep it in mind later since my big tanks that has plants will hopefully be coming home with me next weekend.

Berger
Pooks73
Location 1: NYC

Post by Pooks73 »

if you're using distilled water, be sure to mix it with tap water. pure distilled water is very harmful to fish, and shouldn't be used on its own. i wouldn't think that it would work well for marine tanks either, but with the addition of the salt minerals are added, so they must do a decent job of getting some minerals back in the water.
Berger

Post by Berger »

thanks will do.

I know my parents add the need suppliments to their tanks..but I hadn't thought about it for freshwater...thanks for the info

Berger

Return to “Tank Talk”