Megalechis thoracata maturity

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
kabaltah
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Turkey

Megalechis thoracata maturity

Post by kabaltah »

Hello, I have 6 Megalechis thoracata, all 3" long. I noticed non of them have thicker or orange pectoral fins. Is that mean all of them are females or if there are males, do they need more time to have bigger-orange pectoral fins?
Last edited by kabaltah on 13 Jul 2008, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Megalechis thoracata maturity

Post by Bas Pels »

It was a long time back, but mine got their orange fins around 10 cm (4 inches). that was, all of them, I had 3 males :?
cats have whiskers
kabaltah
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Turkey

Post by kabaltah »

Thanks for reply, so that means I shall wait for them to reach 4". I was planning to order another 6 of them to get some males. But I still have a chance of some of mines to be males.
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Post by Carp37 »

I wasn't sure of my Callichthys male until he reached about 4", but I bought 6 more M. thoracata at our fish auction on Monday at about 2", and one is definitely showing the elongated, thickened pectoral fins so I'm 99.5% sure he's a male; I'm not sure how old he is though- maybe it's more to do with age than size? Despite having had about 7 of these before I've never had a male, although a colleague got something like 9 out of 10 males from juveniles he bought!
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”