Id required...

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Dukerider
Location 1: North of London

Id required...

Post by Dukerider »

Found this little fella hiding in the back of an lfs yesterday. They had him down as an L142 variant but if it is it's quite an extreme variant...any ideas?

I'm still trying to get a mouth shot but it may take some time as he wasn't doing well in the lfs. His stomach is slightly sunken even though the lfs reckon they've had him a while, so I'm don't want to stress him out any more then he needs to be right this minute...

These are pics I took in the shop with the phone. I forgot to set the res. on the camera so there a little small...

and here's a couple of him while he was in the bag being acclimatised...

Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Re: Id required...

Post by Barbie »

I've never seen anything like him. What a find! Hopefully you'll have good luck getting him to eat and thrive. Wish I was any help, but hopefully someone will be able to identify him!

Barbie
drpleco
My images: 2
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Wausau, WI

Post by drpleco »

Seems close to , but hard to tell with it being stressed. Probably best to just let it settle for a few months and see what develops.

In the meantime, get some good food into it (live blackworms are great for fish with sunken bellies) and keep it warm (82-84) to stimulate its appetite and immume system.

Nice find!
Dukerider

Post by Dukerider »

Thanks Barbie, and I've never seen anything like him either...hence why I had to buy him when i saw him. Fantastic looking fish.

@ DrGold,

Possibly a Hypancistrus, having talked with someone else they think they might have seen one before and the conlcusion then was it might have been an oligancistrine of some type. Apparently that one came in as an L142 also, coincidence, maybe not.
He already seems more settled than when he was at the lfs, so hopefully he'll be right as rain in a few days.
I'll update as more info is found..
Dukerider

Post by Dukerider »

In light of the lack of replies (something that surprises me considering the fish in question and the number of views)...can this thread me moved to the more relevant ID section.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I moved it, as requested. However, I doubt it will make much difference - in my experience, the people who are often helping with difficult species do look in both ID and Loricariidae forum.

I have never seen (on picture or in real life) a fish that looks like this one - there are some that aren't very different, such as L174 and - but neither are very good matches of this one.

--
Mats
Dukerider

Post by Dukerider »

Thanks for your response and the quick forum transfer Mat.

Having never seen one like it before...I would of thought would of sparked some novelty interest compared to just Id'ing another bn...

Anyway, best guesstimates so far would have it down as a baryancistrus.
Last edited by Dukerider on 31 Mar 2008, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
HaakonH
My articles: 2
My images: 373
My catfish: 1
Spotted: 228
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Location 2: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Fish fish fish!

Post by HaakonH »

The bodyshape, the size of the head and the eyes, the shape of the fins and the pattern (although truly unique) makes me believe this is possibly an Oligancistrus. It does resemble L354 somewhat...My immediate guess is that this is a one-off, a specimen which colouration has not developed normally. It would be really cool if it was a new species though ;)

-Haakon
husky_jim
My images: 12
My cats species list: 21 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:98)
Spotted: 12
Location 2: Athens-Greece
Interests: Music,Bikes,Dobermann and Catfish!!!

Post by husky_jim »

A mouth/dentition pic is necessary in order to identify the genus....now it is just geussing....
Erlend D Bertelsen
I've donated: $50.00!
My articles: 7
My images: 56
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Norway, Fredrikstad
Location 2: Norway

Post by Erlend D Bertelsen »

A good picture of the dorsal and the adipose fin will maybe give it a positive ID it to the genus Oligancistrus. A dorsal fin that is felt down will touch the adipose fin of an Oligancistrus.

Any way, it is an extremely nice fish you got there.

E
Dukerider

Post by Dukerider »

...My immediate guess is that this is a one-off, a specimen which colouration has not developed normally. It would be really cool if it was a new species though
I think your former guess is probably correct, but like you, I think it would be very cool if it was a new species...
A mouth/dentition pic is necessary in order to identify the genus....now it is just geussing....
You're right, it would certainly help. Once it has settled in properly, I shall catch it and get mouth shots as I'll be an eternity if I wait for it to appear on the front glass.
A good picture of the dorsal and the adipose fin will maybe give it a positive ID it to the genus Oligancistrus. A dorsal fin that is felt down will touch the adipose fin of an Oligancistrus.

Any way, it is an extremely nice fish you got there.
Decent side shot added to the required photograph listing also and thank you for the compliment, I agree, a lovely looking fish.
Borbi
Expert
My articles: 4
My images: 64
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Easton, PA
Location 2: United States

Post by Borbi »

Hi,

with these pictures, I would identify this fish as a Baryancistrus sp., either L 142 or one of the L 18/L 81/L 177 complex. Misscoloured specimen of both types appear now and then in the trade, as can be seen here (http://www.l-welse.com/reviewpost/showp ... 56/cat/all) for a L 142. This fish in particular changed its colouration back to "normal" as documented.
There is also at least one picture of a misscoloured Golden Nugget in Wels Atlas 2, but I don´t remember which type it was.
IMHO, body shape and size of mouth (as far as visible) pretty much rule out a Hypancistrus sp.

Cheers, Sandor
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don´t know.
It´s what we know for sure that just ain´t so."
--Mark Twain
Dukerider

Post by Dukerider »

Thank you Borbi,

I think you're probably spot on, although I will still get the required photos just for confirmation purposes.
Interesting to note that the pattern returned over time, I wonder why that is. Not that it matters much but I do hope my doesn't lol.

Thanks,

Duke
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!!
Yeap I agree with it being a Baryancistrus...
those odd patterned fish appears once in a while...still difficult if it was caused by pollution, sickness or injuries...
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Dosen't look like a Hypancistrus sp based on shape. I expect it will grow much larger than any Hypancistrus if it survives.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

I first also thought it could be a Hypancistrus species but I agree with the others this is a Baryancistrus species and probably a miscoloured L142, a picture of the mouth and dentition will confirm.

Janne
Marshel
Location 1: Guangzhou, P.R.China
Interests: Corydoras and other catfishes

Post by Marshel »

It may be a tiger pleco var.

Return to “What is my catfish?”