Which 1?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
noddy
Location 1: Victoria, Australia

Which 1?

Post by noddy »

Hi everyone
Just a quick question. What would be the best algae eater for a 50gal with gold severums, blue acaras and nicaraguan cichlids. I was considering a common pl*co but i have fears that it will be to restrictive for one. Tank dimensions 48x14x18. Going to have a lot of driftwood and some plants.
Thanks for your time
Noddy
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
I think that the common pleco is the best algae eater for cichlid tanks but because of its size you should not buy it unless you plan to buy a bigger tank(at least 180cm)in the near future.I think that Glyptoperichthis joselimaianus and Hypostomus margaritifer will also do but i dont think that they are as good as common pleco at eating algae.
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

I think that the best algae eater is either a common bristlenose or an panaque :) Just make sure that u have enough hiding places, so they wont get bitten :)
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Panaques don't generally eat algae. They eat wood.
noddy
Location 1: Victoria, Australia

which 1

Post by noddy »

thanks for the replies. So everyone is in agreeance that i need a larger tank for a common pl*co? looks like i might have to get hold of some more bristles.. anyone know of any different bristles that are attactive. i have been considering 3-4 peppermint bristles for a while now. Any oher suggestions,
Thanks again
Noddy
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

That is true that Panaques generally eat wood. But, when there is no other food source, the Royal Panaque will feast on the algae willingly.

Apparently they have tried putting a small royal in a large algae-infested pond with some kois. Lo and behold, the Royal did dig into the algae and the fish grew almost 2x its size in a month and a half.

So, is it the large pond or the algae that made the Royal grow to great lengths?
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

@mokmu i think your assumption isnt worth much as there must be other food available in the pond and you cant just take away the other parameters. Imho leaving Panaques/Panaquolus/Hypostomus (Cochliodon) without wood isnt species-appropriate.
cheers
Christian
Plec0maniac

Post by Plec0maniac »

its true that these loricariids need wood as part of there diet, but as mokmu mentioned, the panaques did grow adn has no signs of prob... my plecs all have wood intested tanks, for diet and habitat purposes..

Are the panaques eventually will die when they have no wood? even though they are growing properly adn are in good condition??? :D
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Its not whether it dies or not but if it is provided with habitat like surroundings. These fish are mostly specialized on eating wood and only because he doesnt die it shouldnt be taken away. Would be like taking away a certain part of your diet and saying well hes not dying hes fine. And i doubt that this is a long term knowledge...fast growing doesnt mean healthy animals. For example overfed turtles suffer from kidney and liver fattening which might be the difference between a 100 year old turtle and a 50 year old one.

edit: imho we owe it to the animal. We rip it out of its habitat and stuff it into a tank/pond.
cheers
Christian
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Besides, the whole point of noddy's thread is to ask which pleco would be best as an algae eater. I just don't think panaques are best-suited for the job, since there are many better alternatives out there.
DeLBoD
Location 1: Wales UK

Post by DeLBoD »

My common pl*co cleaned a 4 foot tank in 24 hours ,it was green all over .
And he is only 5 inches in length, they have to be the best all round algae eater.
Plec0maniac

Post by Plec0maniac »

olright :) tnx for the info. first thing tom, ill put lots of wood in the pond.. tnx :wink:

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”