is 40 l tank is enough big for my plecs ?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
katmandu
Location 1: Leeds,West Yorkshire,UK
Location 2: Leeds

is 40 l tank is enough big for my plecs ?

Post by katmandu »

My wife want to keep a pair of L 260 in 40 L tank.Is it enough big ? :?
as a tank mates she is planning to added group of rummy nose tetras & choclate gourami :D
Is it a good idea :idea:

Thanks for any advice

Katmandu
tank 1----5 x L 66,2 x L 134,5 x bristlenose,Satanoperca spieces
tank 2----1 x L 147,Cheatostoma,Geophagus Tapajos,Heros severus,bristlenose(pair)
tank 3---3 x N.brihardi
jopbgon
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Costa Rica
Location 2: Heredia
Interests: plecos

Re: is 40 l tank is enough big for my plecs ?

Post by jopbgon »

Personally I think the smallest pleco tank have to be of 50G, of course there are some plecs that fit well in small tanks but if I were you I will try to buy a biggest tank, I think that 40L tank is too small for most plecs including L260
tzwms
Location 1: California USA

Post by tzwms »

I would second the thought that 40L is too small. That is not much room for even a few rummynose or a chocolate gourami. Most of my tanks a 40G and in that size you can have several small plecos like the 260, a small shoal of 10-15 rummynose and still not be overcrowded as long as you have an adequate filter.

HTH
:beardy:
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

While I first spawned L260 in a 10 gallon (slightly less than 40l), I would definitely have to recommend going with a larger tank to keep them in. I was paying very detailed attention to the tank in trying to induce spawning and it's going to be far from forgiving if you make a mistake or two with them. Adding additional tankmates on top of the L260 would definitely be risky. Even an 80l tank would double your chances of success.

Barbie
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I just moved my five L260 from a 10 gal species tank to a 29 containing a mated pair of Discus to see if I can't breed both in the same tank.
It is set up with a thin layer of sand, large Anubias on wood and a spawning cone. Three rectangular pleco caves are spaced apart from each other. This has worked with Ancistrus sp 3 for me where both species raising their broods without any problems.
I have several combination dual species set ups that produce well enough for my needs.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”