Leopard Frog L134

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Marky7seven
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Mountsorrel

Leopard Frog L134

Post by Marky7seven »

Advice please. I'm looking to buy some more L134, but how can I make sure I get both male and females as i would like to see if they breed? Also I take it I would have to purchase from 2 source so i'm not breeding with the same family.

If anyone can advice that will be great. i live in the UK, in the Midlands.

Thank you
Mark
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Sexing is easy with this sp. The males get quite significant odontodal growth on their caudal peduncle.

However this may not be obvious in a shop, as they may not be of breeding age.

My advice is to buy at least five and you have a good chance of good ratio of male to female.

As for inbreeding, you will be buying wild caught fish, so there will be very little chance of getting related fish in the same batch. Only worry about this when you buy tank raised fish.

:D

A mod might also want to move this to the Loricariidae forum. [Mod Edit: Moved -- Mats]
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Just to add to that: Yes, mature, established males have heavy odontal growth. However, it's quite often that you can't clearly see this when buying the fish, because the males are stressed and have been kept in conditions that makes them "unhappy". It's probably best to "play the odds" by buying more fish than two or three, so that you have a good chance of getting at least one male and one female.

--
Mats
Marky7seven
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Mountsorrel

Re: Leopard Frog L134

Post by Marky7seven »

Thanks for that, i already have one. So if I get another 5, I will have a pretty good chance of breeding them in my 260 litre tank. Also I would like to get a few either L066 or L260, I take it my tank is plenty big enough to do this? I do have a smaller 60 litre tank also.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I would have thought that the size of tank should be sufficient. Just be aware that they may compete for food, and the "bigger" or "bullier" will be the "winner".

--
Mats
lealea
Location 1: Australia, Queensland
Interests: All Animals

Post by lealea »

I am a large breeder of L134. And the only 100% way to tell if they are male or female is too see them when they are sexually mature. I buy all my colonies in numbers of 4-6 as to better my chances of getting both males and females. When they are mature they are very easy to identify the two sexes. If you are wanting to breed them the best chance is keeping them tank specific so as to keep them happy. They are fine to be raised together but I would seperate when they both reach about the 8cm in length. lealea
I love my L134's

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”