Sterbai spawning

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
chris 1
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: London. England

Sterbai spawning

Post by chris 1 »

As I type this my sterbai are at it like the proverbial rabbit! Question is; how to remove the eggs from the glass front? I've tried a razor blade but have only had a 25% success rate. I need to be quick as the black widows and platies are queing up for a free meal!! The few that I've managed to save have been placed into a net breeder in the same tank.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Chris
NEONCORY
My cats species list: 18 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: seattle WA USA

Post by NEONCORY »

Congratulation chris 1,

I am not the most expert or experienced cory keeper but I do have the breeding group of Sterbais and they have been spawning since March. And this is their first time also. And breeding cory is not always cookie cutter and there are more ways to do. But I can tell you what I do. Not to say that you need to copy nor you can be successful with it. But here it is.

I have my group in their own tank. And I pick the eggs with my fingers. Just rotate with the finger and most of the time, it will stick to your finger if they are picked not long after they are layed. I usually collect them within the several hours after they spawn.
I found they tend to stick the eggs to many locations more so than some of the other corys. And I know they can be egg eater also if they have opprtunity. So you definately need to protect the eggs by moving either eggs or fish. I remove the eggs since they are in the breeding tank and they spawn few times a week, sometime few days in a row.
If you can have their own breeding tank, it probably better to save eggs. I don't think it need to be big. I have 5 adults in 10G and I have no problem with it. And maybe it is a good idea to make or have spawning mop and float it if you have not already. I find them use it pretty frequently(although every females have different favorite spots to place eggs). But I think I find more than half the eggs in the spawning mop. Then I do not have many plants in the tank.
Yes, they do spawn frequently. And it seems they do not stop once they start. Although I still don't have good hatch rate or fry survival rate. Maybe because they are still young I don't know. But I do have more than few offsprings growing at this moment. And I still collect eggs few times a week.
Anyway, good luck with your Sterbais. And eggs and frys. Let me know how it goes or have some questions.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”