L260

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
chris 1
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: London. England

L260

Post by chris 1 »

I recently picked up an L260, size approx. 70mm TL. The belly is all white. I would like to get another to see if they will breed in a community set up.
Can anyone tell me at what size the marbling on the males belly appears. At the moment I'm assuming I have a female but would like to know for certain.
Thanks in advance.
Chris
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

As far as I understand, marbling on the belly is not a good sex-indicator. It may be a key combined with other features, but not a strong one.

The most sure indicator is a combination of behavour, odontodal growth on pectorals and behind the gill-cover (interopercular odontodes). Behavour: Males will guard a cave much more than females. Doesn't mean that females don't hide in a cave if available, but males are more strict about staking one particular cave and sticking to it.

--
Mats
chris 1
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: London. England

Post by chris 1 »

Cheers Mats.
Chris
pureaquatics

Post by pureaquatics »

Just to reiterate the obvious to others,

At about 2 inches or so females tend to get noticeably rounder in the mid section when looking down on them from above. Honestly that's been the best and soonest indicator of sex for us. Of course that combined with behaivior.

Odontode growth can be misleading as when you keep more than one male in one tank you usually get a subordinate male who doesn't grow odonts like a typical male, thus looking alot like a female.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”