Taxonomic revision of Lake Taganyikan Synodontis

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
brofro
Location 1: Ithaca, NY USA

Taxonomic revision of Lake Taganyikan Synodontis

Post by brofro »

Wright, J.J. and L.M. Page. 2006 Taxonomic revision of Lake Taganyikan Synodontis (Siluriformes: Mochokidae). Florida Mus. Nat. Hist. Bull. 46(4):99-154.

Abstract

The taxonomy of the Synodontis of Lake Tanganykia was investigated by examining 312 museum specimens. Morphometric, meristic, and nontraditional internal and external characters were examined, resulting in the recognition of 11 species of Synodontis from Lake Tanganyika. Ten of the species are endemic to the lake basin, and three are new to science. Synodontis grandiops n. sp. is the most similar to S. multipunctatus but is distinguished by measurements of the eye (64.2-81.0% of snout length vs. 44.9-62.0% in S. multipunctatus) and pectoral-fin ray counts (7 vs. 8 in S. multipunctatus). Synodontis lucipinnis n. sp. is most similar to S. petricola but is distinguished by the lack if an axillary pore and the presence of light-colored windows at the bases of the rayed fins. Synodontis ilebrevis n. sp. is most similar to S. polli but is distinguished by the absence of a hindgut chamber, the shortness of the gut (0.8-1.4 times TL in S. ilebrevis vs. 4.0-5.5 times TL in S. polli), and the presence of short, flattend papillae on the skin (vs. villous papillae in S. polli).

Species recognized as valid in this work include:

S. dhonti
S. grandiops n. sp.
S. granulosus
S. ilebrevis n. sp.
S. irsacae
S. lucipinnis n. sp.
S. melanostictus
S. mulitpunctatus
S. petricola
S. polli
S. tanganaicae
Last edited by brofro on 19 Dec 2006, 16:25, edited 2 times in total.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

if there's a way of getting a copy or pdf of this; I'd be mightily interested.
tnx!

looks like we have ourselves a few new names to learn.
Valar Morghulis
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Fascinating! I bet we've seen some of the new species in the hobby but now we can really have something to look for. I'd also be interested in a PDF or if anyone else knows more...

Jools
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Thanks, bro'. For a first post, that is certainly a most newsworthy one. Some of us in the aquarium hobby have been reporting the existence of many undescribed Tanganyika Synodontis species for years, so it is gratifying to see them finally being described. The two recently published papers on this subject were interesting, but even non-ichthyologists like the users of this forum could spot many basic errors in species identification.

So <i>S irsacae</i> has been rescued from synonymy with <i>S dhonti</i>, which makes perfect sense and explains why some of us have kept "juvenile S dhonti" for years without seeing them grow to the size, change to the color or acquire the characteristic head shape of the described adult <i>S dhonti</i>.

Interesting also to see that <i>S nigromaculatus</i> has become a junior synodontonym of the revived <i>S melanostictus</i>.

You make no mention of the affinities of <i>S grandiops</i>. Curious to see if this is the rumored look-alike to <i>S tanganaicae</i> or something different again, perhaps what we hobbyists think of as part of the "petricola complex".

Would also love to learn whether the authors relied primarily on newly acquired specimens or reviewed existing museum material, and if the former, which parts of the Lake they sampled.

I look forward to reading more news and views on this paper. While it certainly appears to represent a great leap forward in our understanding of Lake Tanganyika Synodontis, I doubt if it is the last word on the subject, as there may well be additional species waiting to be described.
Jorge
Location 1: Madrid (España)

Post by Jorge »

I'd also be interested in a PDF...
worton[pl]
My images: 2
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Lublin, Poland
Location 2: Warsaw, Poland
Interests: catfishes, motorcycles

Post by worton[pl] »

Greetings,

same here if it is possible.

Regards.
Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Steppenwolf, Born to Be Wild
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

I guess I will jump on the bandwagon as well,if you could steer me in the right direction that would be great!

Birger
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I just received my printed copy yesterday (I was told by the senior author that there would be no pdf). Based on my intial perusal, it seems that the dwarf petricola should now be called S. lucipinnis.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Silurus wrote:I just received my printed copy yesterday (I was told by the senior author that there would be no pdf). Based on my intial perusal, it seems that the dwarf petricola should now be called S. lucipinnis.

Jools
Birger
Expert

Post by Birger »

the presence of light-colored windows at the bases of the rayed fins
In the S.lucipinnis....I am trying to understand what these windows are, I am thinking it is the area at the base of the fins that are the same color as the overall body or do the windows mean something different ?

Birger
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

windows

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi Birger and all.

Re "the presence of light-colored windows at the base of the rayed fins": My initial interpretation of this concept is best seen by looking at image number one in the newly named Synodontis lucipinnis section of the Cat-elog. If you look to the top of the anal fin you can see an intrusion (if you will) of lighter color into the black marking. I am, at least provisionally, accepting this as a "window". In the paper the statement regarding this is a little longer than in the resume. It says "All rayed fins with black triangles at base; posterior margins white. Triangles have large lightly colored windows at bases, most noticable in dorsal and anal fins." Unfortunately, the black and white photo of the Holotype doesn't really appear to show this (or at least not that I can clearly see).

Heok Hee - Please share your interpretation of this "window" with us when you have a chance. Thanks.

(P.S. After going quickly through the paper and doing some equally quick comparisons against various Cat-elog pictures, it certainly seems to me that we still have more Lake Tanganyikan Synodontis than we have available names for. But, hey, this is fun!)

Lee
lfinley58
Expert

resume???

Post by lfinley58 »

Pardon please. Mentally replace my use of "resume" in the last post with Abstract. Sorry about that.

Lee
sidguppy
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

the "posterior margins white" doesn't fit any petricola or "petricola dwarf" at all; the petricola-clade is unique among the Tang syno's because the anterior margins aka the spines are white.....it's reversed!

in all the other syno's (except adult polli's and melanostictus), the fins are black up front (anterior) and white on the back (posterior)

unless I mixed up post and ant again, happened before.

but petricola's have their finmarkings in reverse from the other species and the same is true for the dwarf.
Valar Morghulis
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The rest of the color description has: "Dorsal and pectoral-fin spines white, terminating in short, white filaments..."
lfinley58
Expert

posterior?

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi Sidguppy (and all).

I have to admit that I am not quite sure what you are saying. I will again reference picture number one in the Synodontis lucipinnis section of the Cat-elog. The posterior part of the anal fin sure looks whitish (or yellowish as the case might be) to me.

Lee
Birger
Expert

Post by Birger »

Might be wishful thinking but I was hoping there is a simpler way to tell the difference without having to dissect, I am assuming this would be the only way to tell if there is an axilary pore, this mentioned window that Lee and myself are looking at (if in truth we are correct) should be okay but with the pattern variations between individuals I would think it would take a practiced eye. There would be other differences I am sure if a person had both species together but I was just thinking about what was said in the Abstract above.

Birger
lfinley58
Expert

differences

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi Birger and all.

There are most certainly other potential "eyeball" differences between the various species (humeral process shape; size and shape of adipose fin, etc.). It now just comes down to seeing which of these might work to our advantage - and which ones won't.

Lee
lfinley58
Expert

Regarding the L. Tanganyikan Syno paper

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi all.

With the current interest in this paper I will note the following: The publication is 55 pages on 8 1/2 X 11 paper. There is a stiff paper cover. On the back inside cover the publication is listed at being available for the (reasonable) price of $7.00 plus $1.50 for USA shipping. I tried calling yesterday for some more details, but it appeared that no one was around between the holidays. I will check back and put more details herein when I have them.

Lee
Jools
Expert

Re: Regarding the L. Tanganyikan Syno paper

Post by Jools »

lfinley58 wrote:Hi all.

With the current interest in this paper I will note the following: The publication is 55 pages on 8 1/2 X 11 paper. There is a stiff paper cover. On the back inside cover the publication is listed at being available for the (reasonable) price of $7.00 plus $1.50 for USA shipping. I tried calling yesterday for some more details, but it appeared that no one was around between the holidays. I will check back and put more details herein when I have them.

Lee
Get twenty copies on WaterMart! :-)

Jools
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

So this is what happens when i spend a little time away from the forums!!! - great to see some attention being devoted to the Tang Synos but it does mean learning a few new names. It also seems somewhat incomplete but we'll see when we can get our hands on copies
MatsP
My articles: 4
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

So is there a conclusion on what the difference is between the S. lucipinnis and S. petricola?

I'm asking because the "Identification" section on both are (essentially) identical, which doesn't exectly help the poor aquarist trying to figure out which one he/she has... ;-)

I'd like to update the Cat-eLog with a key to separate these two (the identification entry describes fairly well how to separate these two from other Synodontis spp.).

[Preferrably a key that doesn't require dissection!]

--
Mats
synoguy
My cats species list: 44 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Cornwall, UK

Post by synoguy »

I'd also be interested in a copy assuming the price isnt too high, im kinda poor at the moment :? I have a small group of what was sold as petricola dwarf I would be interested in finding out more. Im knee deep in research myself (both fish stuff and engineering stuff) at the moment so anything to distract me from that is a good thing
:lol:
Simon
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Has anyone sourced any copies yet? There are several of us "chomping at the bit" or even point us in the right direction
sidguppy

Post by sidguppy »

I'm still very much interested in obtaining a copy.

payment is not a problem, that's why they invented creditcards..... :roll: :lol:

but i DO need a link, an address, the name of the person or institute who sells these! :wink:
Valar Morghulis
lfinley58
Expert

L. Tanganyika Synodontis Revision

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi Richard, sidguppy and all.

The full reference, which would be good to use in any communications, for the revision is in the first post in this thread. For information on obtaining a copy (which are actually quite inexpensive at $7.00 US plus postage)you can contact the Managing Editor of the Bulletin of the Florida Museum of Natural History at: dfranz@flmnh.ufl.edu

Lee
Oliver D.
My images: 9
My cats species list: 39 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Austria
Location 2: near Vienna

Re: L. Tanganyika Synodontis Revision

Post by Oliver D. »

Hi!
lfinley58 wrote:Hi Richard, sidguppy and all.
The full reference, which would be good to use in any communications, for the revision is in the first post in this thread. For information on obtaining a copy (which are actually quite inexpensive at $7.00 US plus postage)you can contact the Managing Editor of the Bulletin of the Florida Museum of Natural History at: dfranz@flmnh.ufl.edu
Lee
Have someone an response, from Florida?

edit: I´ve an answer... :lol:

Regards,
Oliver (no patience)
Seedy
Location 1: Tulsa OK USA
Interests: Scuba, Sport/Defense Shooting (handgun), Fishing and Cichlids

Post by Seedy »

Dinyar wrote:Thanks, bro'. For a first post, that is certainly a most newsworthy one.
Wow... :shock: no kidding. I'm almost tempted to spend the $ for the .pdf

...is it, possible that "PlanetCatfish" could obtain the right to reproduce that article here online? :P
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Seedy wrote:...is it, possible that "PlanetCatfish" could obtain the right to reproduce that article here online? :P
I doubt we would be allowed to do this. However if someone wants to ask the authors as opposed to the publishers...

Jools
lfinley58
Expert

revision

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi all.

I will just re-note that the price on the revision is very inexpensive and that anyone interested in these fishes should obtain a copy. The publication is a hard copy. I note this in that Seedy made mention of a pdf copy (?). There are, to my knowledge, no authorized pdf copies available. The contact info on obtaining a copy is a few comments up in this thread.

Lee
grahams
Location 1: northampton
Interests: tanganykan cats and cichlids

Post by grahams »

Hi Lee and all,
I have in my own hamfisted way been trying to get more info over the internet.I found very little more,but to re-iterate what Lee says, that there is very little likelihood they will release a PDF soon.What is more, I understand that if anyone who has a copy, releases it on the internet,it would be viewed as a breech of copyright and appropriate action taken.So beware

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”