Feeding Whiptail fry.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
saraya
Location 1: UK

Feeding Whiptail fry.

Post by saraya »

Hello. :)

My 4 babies are now 10 days old and have grown quite a bit. I?m not sure they have gained a lot of length, but they are about 3 times as wide as they were.
I have been experimenting with different foods, but the only things I know for certain that they are eating are tinned runner beans and squished shelled peas.
I am failing at trying to get a clear picture. If you squint a bit you might be able to make them out on here.
This was yesterday at 9 days old.
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/s ... babies.jpg

The adults eat quite a lot of meat, so I guess I need to start the babies with more meaty foods soon. I?m really worried though, as I?ve read a few threads recently on fry choking. I don't know at what age I can safely give Brine Shrimp and Microworms. Can anyone give me any advice on this?
So far all I have done in meaty terms, was to take a pestle and mortar to a carnivorous tablet. I?m not certain that they ate any of it though.

Any advice much appreciated. It has been pure luck that they have survived this long, and I don?t want an error on my part to kill them now.

Many thanks. :D
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I would begin adding microworms to the veggies asap.
They need protein rich foods for proper development just as the adults do. These first days are critical to their future growth. They are easily stunted and even may die without a balanced diet.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Norman
My images: 55
My cats species list: 40 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 13 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:130)
Spotted: 25
Location 1: Brunswig - Germany
Location 2: Germany
Interests: Loricariinae

Post by Norman »

Hallo Saraya,

Mostly I use Artemia Nauplies - IMO the best food for carnivore whiptail frys.

For herbivor whiptails like your Sturisoma frys, algae powder (or tabs) will bring the best results. You can use the popular Spirulina or the better Chlorella.

Larry wrote correctly, the first few days are really important. A lot of food and good waterquality are necessary to bring them up.

best regards
Norman
saraya
Location 1: UK

Post by saraya »

Thank you both very much and my apologies for the delay in replying.
The 4 fry have survived to day 17 :D and I would guess that they are now double in length to that when they hatched. I have been doing my usual water change routine, with 10L a day and 20L on Saturday. Each day I am using the tube from the gravel siphon to suck left over food from the sides of the net.

I am still crushing tablets ? but beans and peas remain the apparent firm favourites.
I bought myself this kit.
http://www.ntlabs.co.uk/product_details ... duct_id=72
as the brine shrimp in shops seemed way too big.
I?ve tried a wide range of tablets, such as Hikari and Wardleys ? but so far it?s crushed JMC pellets that seem to get them off the beans and on the sides of the net.

Microworms are proving difficult to find. All LFS keepers are just giving me blank looks!

I just love these babies. :D Such perfect little replicas of their parents. All the markings are clearly visible. If I can keep them alive, I think I may have to keep them and separate them across my other tanks.

Is there a rough age when it?s safe to say the really hard bit is over? When I can say, I have made it this far and I think they?re going to be ok? Obviously 17 days is nowhere near enough ? but it would be great to have something to aim for and be able to breath a sigh of relief.

Many thanks. :D
L18,L47,L128,L351,L190,L333,L104,L001,2xBN,2xWhiptails + fry.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Hi Saraya,
I would be feeling pretty good if they have doubled their size in 17 days. Keep up the good work.
Microworms are probably available through making contacts within a local aquarium society's members. Corydoras breeders are likely not going to give you any blank looks. Only baby brineshrimp were on anyone's mind making the suggestions. I sometime hatch, harvest and quick freeze them because then they just sink to the bottom where catfish feed most of the time. You have to be careful with the frozen baby brineshrimp as they go bad very quickly if not eaten immediately.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”