Clarias batrachus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
silvernes
Location 1: Toronto Baby!

Clarias batrachus

Post by silvernes »

How large a tank do walking catfish require?
(I guessed a shallow 100?) How about a pair?

I know someone who recently had theirs breed, and they became very aggressive in guarding the eggs (probably why I'd only get 1 for now) so much so he had to removed 2 arrowanas from the tank because the cats were stripping scales - is this typical of the catfish? are they ever normally aggressive?

How large are their mouths as adults?
(like I'm not going to put them in with guppies :) but I have 2.5" clown loaches, would I need to worry about them?)

How frequently are marbles or molted colours available?

I'm no where near actually getting myself one of these cats, just researching them for now because I do find them quite charming :D

Nes.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I would say at least 125 gallons for a pair. Many of the standard tank sizes are somewhat deeper than needed for Clarias (they need to to be able to come up to the surface now and again to gulp air).

Ideally, you should keep Clarias with really robust fish. And I mean really robust (clown loaches probably aren't going to hack it). Probably something like a tiger fish. Or tinfoil barbs.

They have fairly wide mouths ( I estimate a full grown one to have a gape of about 1.5"), and are not to be trusted with 2.5" clown loaches.
silvernes
Location 1: Toronto Baby!

Post by silvernes »

Thanks Silurus :)

Minus the clown loaches and my tank would be perfect for them :) but I'm seeling my tinfoil barbs anyway (120 gallons is NOT big enough for them :x but they were in a 50 before I got them :|)

Perhaps in future I will get them a tank of their own then :) I really love the molted varitety!

Nes.
Myth
Location 1: UK

Post by Myth »

Hi Silvernes

My pair of clarias (about 15") get on fine with tinfoil barbs, banded leporinus and common pleco`s in a 6ft tank.

In contrast, my other clarias (about 18") now lives on his own in a 4ft tank. He loves people but won`t tolerate any fish and will savage them relentlessly, no matter how big.

I don`t think the mouth size matters too much as they could probably tear a fish to pieces over a period of time if they couldn`t swallow it whole :wink:

So I guess a lot depends on the personality of the individual fish but they are a great fish to keep in my book :D

Return to “Asian Catfishes”