Going to south america collecting catfish?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
david
Location 1: dundee scotland
Interests: football,water polo

Going to south america collecting catfish?

Post by david »

Hi Guys

I would like to go to a south american country possibly peru or brazil fish collecting mainly for catfish. My question is do u know anybody that does expeditions like this and u can help them collect fish?. As i woulden't feel comfortable wading in the water myself and knowing me i would find a new species and throw it back in the river. Also any good books on all types of south american catfish possibly a field guide? thanks. :D

David
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

You should also get yourself along to the catfish convention in Febraury where Shane and I will be talking about collecting in S. America and India & there will be several members there who have been collecting "in Indi"...

Jools
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Anyone ever went to central or west Africa?
I know a guy that has been to West Africa many times (and several who went to Malawi/Tang), and he told me that "Amphilius are everywhere, but nobody is interested"....needless to say, I'm all over him, if he goes off again; there's plenty room in one box for a bag of those; it's not like all those cichlids are the only interesting fish :roll:
he's into Hemichromis, Nanochromis, Pelvicachromis and Chromidotilapia.
let's change his mind about Amphilius, Leptoglanis, small Synodontis, Chiloglanis etc.

None of you die-hard collectors ever went there?
Valar Morghulis
kev
Location 1: Lancashire
Interests: Catfish and Stingray's

Post by kev »

Hi david
I got back from Brazil on thursday, we went collecting fish in Makapa and Altamira. We collected everything from Cory's, Stingray's to load's of Pleco's. We went with an exporter and his fisherman so im sorry i cant help you with knowing a expedition company, but will tell you it's well worth all the money and the jab's and bug's haha.

any question's or if you want to see any photo's then drop me a email :D
kevcromo@aol.com
that go's 4 anyone.
Put me dinner in the oven, im off to the Xingu!!!.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”