Chaca chaca

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
UNTgolf
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Dallas,TX
Interests: Chemistry, corys

Chaca chaca

Post by UNTgolf »

I just bought one of these cool guys today and just wanted to see if anyone had any help tips on care for this interesting catfish. I know the basic details on care but I wanted to know it there are other types of cats that I can keep with this guy or if it should be kept alone. And final what is the best type of food and feeding time?

thanks!
Sean
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Chaca are best kept in a species tank. I suppose one could house it with larger tankmates, but as there have been unconfirmed reports that its mucus is ichthyotoxic, I don't think it's wise to take the chance.

They are best fed live food (smaller fishes), with most of the eating done at night. Weaning them off of it is possible, but difficult.
kdreymann
Location 1: Berlin

Post by kdreymann »

Silurus wrote:Chaca are best kept in a species tank. I suppose one could house it with larger tankmates,
Better not!
My first Chaca has been killed by a Gibbiceps, who thought, the chaca might be an old oakroot.
Klaus
SirMinion
Location 1: East Anglia, England
Interests: Fish!

Post by SirMinion »

We have one of these. He's still very small and so far we have not been able to wean him off live foods, he mainly eats ghost shrimp and the occasional tetra.

In our experiance they are quite had to keep and oftn refuse to eat if stressed.

They also have a strange ability to crash the pH in a tank very suddenly with disaterous results.

Here's ours enjoying a treat.

kdreymann

Post by kdreymann »

SirMinion wrote: They also have a strange ability to crash the pH in a tank very suddenly with disaterous results.
Hi, then you should read this:
http://www.welse.net/seiten/chacsco1.htm
daddyo72
Location 1: chicago il
Interests: casfish and illinois natives

Post by daddyo72 »

SirMinion wrote:We have one of these. He's still very small and so far we have not been able to wean him off live foods, he mainly eats ghost shrimp and the occasional tetra.

In our experiance they are quite had to keep and oftn refuse to eat if stressed.

They also have a strange ability to crash the pH in a tank very suddenly with disaterous results.

Here's ours enjoying a treat.

I believe the reason it crashes the PH is a digestive enzime. Dont put Chaca with anything that can fit in its mouth.
jason a sidler
kdreymann

Post by kdreymann »

I believe the reason it crashes the PH is a digestive enzime.
Hi,
Do you just believe it, or do you know something, that I don't ?
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

looks like your Chaca had a serious mouthinjury in the past!

piece of its' lower jawbone is missing.....
Valar Morghulis

Return to “Asian Catfishes”