Gold Ancistrus Pleco??

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
lemonlimecola
Location 1: Virginia,USA

Gold Ancistrus Pleco??

Post by lemonlimecola »

I went to my LFS, and they had tiny little 1 inch plecos labeled "Gold Ancistrus Pleco". I was wondering if that is the same as the L048?? But the little ones at the LFS weren't black, they kinda looked albino colored and you could see the little white spots on them, and they were kept in a black gravel tank. So my question is would it be wise enough to assume that they really are the same as the L048?? And if so will they stay that nice golden/yellow color?? or do you think they'll change black on me?!
^_^ LemonLimeCola
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

They are usually just an albino morph of the commonly available ancistrus. They will definitely retain the coloration they have now, and are great janitors. In my tanks, I've noticed that they don't bother to try to hide nearly as often as their naturally colored counterparts. Maybe they know it's next to impossible, so they just don't bother, who knows!

Barbie
Allen Myers
Location 1: Jamestown, NY

Post by Allen Myers »

Barbie,

Good point on the albinos not even trying to hide. I have some Starlights BNs that are next to invisible when you peer into their tank. As a matter of fact, I can't get within 8 feet of their tank without them diving for cover. On the other hand, the Albino BNs will actually swarm to a piece of zucchini that I am trying to anchor to their drift wood. As a matter of fact, I can even hold onto the slice of zucchini while they are attacking it! Two thumbs up for the Albino BN if you are looking for a pl*co that stays out in plain sight. :wink:

Allen
lemonlimecola

Post by lemonlimecola »

That's good to hear that they won't change their color :) I totally drool over the little cuties every time I see them, and for 8 dollars a piece I was thinking twice about buying them, cause they are only 1 inch long. I have another question, is there any way I could single out the females from males and get one of each at this size?? Or would that be pretty much impossible, even if some look wider than others???
^_^ LemonLimeCola
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Post by T »

Allen Myers wrote:Barbie,

Good point on the albinos not even trying to hide. I have some Starlights BNs that are next to invisible when you peer into their tank. As a matter of fact, I can't get within 8 feet of their tank without them diving for cover. On the other hand, the Albino BNs will actually swarm to a piece of zucchini that I am trying to anchor to their drift wood. As a matter of fact, I can even hold onto the slice of zucchini while they are attacking it! Two thumbs up for the Albino BN if you are looking for a pl*co that stays out in plain sight. :wink:

Allen
Yeah my albino bristle is like that and actually comes to the front when I get near hoping to get a tasty treat.
Allen Myers
Location 1: Jamestown, NY

Post by Allen Myers »

LLC,

I think it would be kind of tough to sex the Bristlenose at 1" long. I have a bunch of 1.75"+ that I still can't tell whether or not they are males or females, as none of them have any bristles yet. There are a lot of good deals on Aquabid for Bristlenose, and they are much cheaper than $8 each. Check out the links below:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... 1095207076
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... 1095501340

My albino Bristlenose are a deep yellow (almost golden) color with the little white dots you described. See the attached picture.

Good luck with yours when you get them!

Allen
lemonlimecola

Post by lemonlimecola »

Thanks a million everyone for all the info! Those are the same ones, Allen, but much smaller :D The cuttest little things. Thanks for the awsome links, being new to this hobby is pretty hard on ones wallet, you never know when you end up paying too much for something.
^_^ LemonLimeCola

Return to “What is my catfish?”