Do I have enough room in my tank??

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
mermaid
Location 1: Huntingdon, Cambs UK
Interests: bristlenose catfish,royal plecs

Do I have enough room in my tank??

Post by mermaid »

I have a fish tank with a 2 inch plec & 5 bronze corys, I want to add a couple of clown loachs but dont want to over populate, in a few months I will be moving my plec to tank of his own here are the measurements for the tank:

LEFT TO RIGHT : 31 & a half inches
BOTTOM TO TOP: 15 & a half inches
FRONT TO BACK: 13 & a half inches.

the reason I am getting loaches is because I have snails, if I have the room, how many loaches can i get to add to the tank??
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:4, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

Although ultimately they may outgrow this aquarium, you should be fine with three youngsters for now. You shouldn't have any problem rehousing them once they do get large, but you'll probbaly find you end up getting a larger aquarium for them, as large Clown Loach are one of the most attractive freshwater fish there are.
mermaid

Post by mermaid »

Thank you so much, mmmm bigger aquarium, will have to be very nice to my other half to talk him round to a bigger one, fish isnt his thing.

Thank you, will be going to the fish shop later today, are they very expensive???
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Do some research on the size of clown loaches,they can get quite large

check this out
http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/bo ... nthus.html

Birger
mermaid

Post by mermaid »

I got 3 clown loaches this afternoon for £4.50 each. Left them in the bag in the tank for a few hours & then added them to the tank. I was told they would be shy at first & hide alot, but oh no, they went round the tank like they owned it, and have been on the move since, also noticed that they make clicking noises which is really sweet, and I love the way they lay on their sides looking as though they are dead. all I can say is look out snails, the restuarant is open & taking bookings!!! I am so glad I got them now they are really a joy.
SJExotics
Location 1: San Jose, California

Post by SJExotics »

Clown loaches are awesome. They grow really slow too, something like 1" or less per year avg.
SJE
mermaid

Post by mermaid »

I bought a new fish tank and cabinet 4 foot one so there is loads of space for my fish now and they love it, one of my loaches died, andI have noticed that on some of them the black stripes fade to grey and then black again, are they sick do you think?? Also how many time a day should I feed them, I have five now and 5 corys & one plec and at the moment I feed 2 small pellets and one plec tablet every morning, is this enough as they all charge for them when I drop them in.

:?
dag
Location 1: Calgary , Alberta , Canada

loaches

Post by dag »

It took me awhile with my loaches to develop the diet of their likeing . Only put in as much as they will eat in 10 mins . Most guides say not to leave it more than a couple of mins but my loaches were so damn skittish when I first got them that it took them longer to come out of hiding for the food . Mine love the homeade food I give them (which consists of scallops , shrimp and beans) . They also like certain flakes and frozen Mysis shrimp . By far they are most particular to fresh live snails followed closely by frozen blood worms . As you can see , they have lots to chose from but the mixture of fish in their tank neccesitates a varied diet and everything gets cleaned up . I rarely have to take any extra food back out of the tank . Don't worry about variations in the shade of their color changing at times . This is normal and after a year + mine still do that . Apparently it has to do with mood , domination and that type of thing . Just beware of ICK . They are hypersensitive to it and a new environment and move is sure to stress them enough to add to the danger of developing it . Loaches are a favorite of all with their antics and quirky behavior . Doesn't that lying on their sides all over each other just make you laugh ? Anyways , enjoy them .
?In relation to animals, all people are Nazis; for [them] it is an eternal Treblinka.?
? Isaac Bashevis Singer (1904-1991), Yiddish writer and vegetarian
mermaid

Post by mermaid »

Thanks for the feeding tips, they seem to know when its feeding time when I get up in the morning and open the curtains they all come swimming to the front of the tank really excited, they seem to stay together with my corys too which is nice, I have seen a couple of loachs staring each other out and then lunging at each other, I presume they are determining status??, they are not bothered by my plec either and neither is he of them dispite his size. I love wathing them all and am really please they all get on, buying a bigger tank was well worth it. As for Ick, fingers crossed they have been ok, I do a 20% water change every week, I have now a fluval 4 plus filter in the tank and have attached a spray to it (designed for the fluval) so when the water come out it puts a nice spray of bubbles into the tank which they love.
Catfish, what a perfect creation

Return to “Tank Talk”