Keeping L135

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Boots n all
Location 1: Melbourne Australia
Interests: My children and fish

Keeping L135

Post by Boots n all »

Has anyone here had experience with kepping/Breeding the L135 Percoltia????
or able to direct me to a link as such???
Thanks in advance
joern
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Oldenburg, Germany

Re: Keeping L135

Post by joern »

Boots n all wrote:Has anyone here had experience with kepping/Breeding the L135 Percoltia????
or able to direct me to a link as such???
Thanks in advance
Hi,

the search - function will bring some results...http://www.forum.planetcatfish.com/sear ... de=results

I had a spwan in May, but nothing came out...it's not so easy as in some other species.
best regards
Joern
Boots n all

l 135

Post by Boots n all »

Thank you for the reply joern, l have read most of this already but not via that search tool, l will be using that quite a bit now l know about it, thank you.
joern said:
l promised a translation of a german thread form L-welse.com..

How did you go with this translation, l went to the site one week ago and tried to register but it did not work for me.
If l may ask what size were your L135's when they spawned and how old do you think they are.

Our L135 are from 5cm to 8 cm and we think they are about one year old they are housed in a 4x18x18 with a 1400 ltr/hr wet/dry filter plus an air stone for a little extra movment, the temp is 28 dec. they are mostly fed flake foods that have a high spirolina conent as well as regular supply of pumkin and a little blood worm once a week.

l look forward to your reply
joern

Re: l 135

Post by joern »

Hi Boots n all

yes, the "catfish food from the kitchen" feeding thread on L-welse.com....I hope, I will finish it on week end...

They were aboout 10cm long, somewhat about 1 1/2 year old, I guess.

I keep them in a 80 (l) x40 (w) x50 (h)cm tank, filtered by a hamburg mat filter, watch http://forum.planetcatfish.com/viewtopic.php?t=7459, water volume pumped 3 to 4 times/h, diffusor (O2 is about 8 mg/l), about 28°C temp.
Water: now "dry season" and pure tap water: 7°GH, 4°KH, Ph 7,5, others: GH 3-4°, 0-1°KH, pH about 6. Adding fruits of the alter tree (Alinius spec), which has the same effect as sea almond leaves (but no costs).
Got 3males, 2 females. Males slightly larger. Oodontes not so nice to see as in other species. When in breeding condition, males show a more brownish body, while the females show a bright grey head / neck . During breeding times, the males cover a cave, but leave them empty the other time....They used a cave in the filter current (allthough it's not very strong there), for "living" they take other caves....
I use Lemna and Ceratophyllum as floating plants, this gives some shadow to the fish and reduces Nitrate below 10 mg/l (sometime to zero). Weekly I take away an area of about 20 to 40cm of Lemna plants and about 2m long Ceratophyllum.
That was the main topics of my l135 tank set up. Tank mates are C.metae and 2 C.concolor, some Oto's, 2 L262.
Did I forget something ? Probably....so ask for more details...
best regards
Joern
Boots n all

Great

Post by Boots n all »

That was great, l will now sit down and compare that to ours and see how different we are.
But first l can tell you that the metric size of our tank is 45cm x 45cm x 120cm, we are filtering/turning over 7 times an hour(approx) no plant life though and there are no tank mates, a totally dedicated tank that l hope will yeild results.
Regards Boots n all
joern

Re: Great

Post by joern »

Boots n all wrote: no plant life though and there are no tank mates
Hi boots,

my tank is planted with two Echinidorus spec. (somewhat "bleheri"-typ), two Cryptocoryne cordata (?) and some small Anubias on driftwood, stones and at the back wall of the tank. This is not very much.
He L135 don't feed on the plants. Sometimes they like ist lying under a shallow Echinodorus leave.
I use sand 1mm diameter.
best regards
Joern
Boots n all

L 135

Post by Boots n all »

We too have a thin amount of gravel, we are about to move the group in three weeks to a 45cm x 45cm x240cm when we do that l will take your idea and add 4 or 5 Anubias on driftwood, the tank has no over head lights and the tank is located down the back of the fish room 3.5 mtrs from the window.
The only tank mates l will add are a couple of "Half beaks" as they always stay at the surface, the L135 are not cheap here($400 to $600 each) so if they do spawn l would not like think they were eaten by a hungry tank mate.
We keep all of our other tanks with a singel species to a tank and are doing well with that theory applied to our other catfish so far, we are breeding L183, L10a and of course the common bristle nose.
Regards Boots n all
ikan
Location 1: Australia

L135

Post by ikan »

Good luck with the breeding program. I hope you get them to spawn soon.
I also breed L183 and like to have rarer suckermouth like L134. I heard it's getting more common (still very rare), maybe someone has managed to spawn them on regular basis. I have never seen it personally.
Dr_Gribb
Location 1: Oslo, Norway

Post by Dr_Gribb »

A word about gravel:
I have a group of 6 L135's in a 112L tank (35*30*40) together with a pair of L183’s and some ancistrus sp young.

The tank is furnished witch a selection of slate caves and driftwood. Plants too speak of are: Echinidorus bleheri and some anubias on driftwood.

This tank has been up and running for about 8 weeks now, and the typography of the substrate looks very different now. The substrate is fine gravel 1-3 mm, about 8cm thick all over. The substrate was sloped to start of, but now it is leveled. All thanks to my L135-diggers.
Boots n all

L135

Post by Boots n all »

Yes we have noticed they love to push the gravel out of their caves, our gravel is so thin because we use an external filter that we have built ourselves and do not require the coverage over a substrate plate, we are currently adding plants to our tank, we have also noticed they love to polish the wood in the tank :lol:
How long have you had yours?

Joern, how did you go with that translation?
Boots n all

Joern

Post by Boots n all »

joern said:
Quote:
l promised a translation of a german thread form L-welse.com..

How did you go with this translation, l went to the site one week ago and tried to register but it did not work for me.

Any News on this yet???????
Boots n all

Some time has passed

Post by Boots n all »

It's been a while since these fish were compared, ours are now 10 to 12cm long 4 males 5 females the tank they are in is 45cm(W) x 45cm(H) x 240cm(L) a few plants not many caves
and filtration is at 5 times an hour but still no breeding, although the males have claimed caves and the females wait by the side of these caves, have any of you had any luck since?????????? would love to hear it
xinguinsis
Location 1: AUSTRALIA

L135

Post by xinguinsis »

Hi Boots,
Have the females hanging out near the caves males in or at front of caves it all looks good but no luck either.It becomes more difficult with out much info. Have you found much info on their natural waters ?
Regards Chris
Boots n all

L135

Post by Boots n all »

No, info is hard to find other than what l have found here, how big are yours and how old? l am guessing they are the same shippment
xinguinsis

L135

Post by xinguinsis »

Yeh reckon you'd be right on same batch about the same size put new caves in today they will have outgrown the old ones shortly.So there's been a spawning but no fry reports by anybody yet?Worked pretty hard on mine mixing up parameters etc to no avail.
Regards Chris
Boots n all

L135

Post by Boots n all »

l have got the same problem with growing out their caves, it amazes me how they are not scared to come out of thier caves while you sit there right in front of the caves, even with stranges in the house, they are a very bold catfish compared to most.
l am currently working hard on the L10A Redlizard whip tails, l have two spawns at the moment, only 21 have survived from the first and the second has only just left the nest.
What other catfish do you have?
xinguinsis

Post by xinguinsis »

Hi Boots,
Other than ancistrus, L134s which I've got spawning (only one fry so far)but I'm pretty happy with the little guy or girl.
Regards Chris
Boots n all

L135

Post by Boots n all »

Cooooooool, well done, you must be proud of yourself for that one, was it the way you held your mouth or something else a little more technical :lol: .
l am about to try and get some myself, how many do you have?
How big/ old where they before you spawned them?
xinguinsis

Post by xinguinsis »

Pretty much just did the text book stuff having dramas with the fry but they spawned quite readily.Probably 18 months old odontodes had being obvious for two months on male .Bought ten dropped 4 within 2 weeks but last six look good.They're carrying on abit today so fingers crossed for another spawn hopefully next one will be more viable.
Boots n all

Fry Problems

Post by Boots n all »

What type of problems did you have with the fry?
were they not eating after they left the nest?
what foods were on offer?
Any other tank mates?
How big is the tank?
What sort of filtration system?
Any plants in the tank?
l have found that tanks with out plants often end up with dead fry as the fry cling to the glass where there is no food, if they cling to the plants at least they can nibble on the plant until they find suitable food
xinguinsis

Post by xinguinsis »

Hi Boots,
Theres a couple of posts already on here with my L134 dramma.
Regards Chris

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”