feeding loricariidae

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
BIGblue
Location 1: Sunrise, FL, USA

feeding loricariidae

Post by BIGblue »

Hello,

I wanted to find out how many different types of foods you guys/gals feed your loricariidae. I feed my L 264 live brine shrimp and bloodworms. I've tried feeding him algae waffers, but he doesn't touch it. I've also tried feeding him Tetra Min Tropical Tablets, but he doesn't seem to like them either. I haven't tried feeding him greens. I doubt he'll touch the greens though since he is carnivorus. What other kind of foods are there for loricariidae?

Thank You
Image Angel
Achim
Location 1: Europe, Germany,federal state Hessen, Marburg, Lahn river.
Interests: south american catfish, catfish in general, ostariophysi in general.

Post by Achim »

Hi,
I haven't tried feeding him greens. I doubt he'll touch the greens though since he is carnivorus.
Try feeding your L. joselimai cucumber. I was surprised when i realised that my L. heterodon loved cucumber (biting holes in it). Leporacathicus are more omnivorous than carnivorous imo.
I feed my Loricariids mainly large frozen Artemia ("Golden Gate"), black Mosquito larvae and flake food. The limnivorous get greens like cucumber in addition. I only very rarely feed bloodworms though I made some bad experience feeding them and neither like handling them nor the environment they come from (pollution...).

Achim
BIGblue

Post by BIGblue »

I'll see if he likes the cucumber. How long can you keep a piece of cucumber in a tank?
Image Angel
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

About 36 hours max. After that it gets kinda squishy and starts rotting.
BIGblue

Post by BIGblue »

Thank you Silurus.
Image Angel
Achim

Post by Achim »

Hi,
How long can you keep a piece of cucumber in a tank?
Depends on the water quality of the tank (and how fast it is being eaten ;)).
If it is not eaten or not completely except for the skin, i wouldn't leave it there longer than 24hours.
A piece of cucumber either becomes softer or harder the longer you leave it in the tank (You can virtualy classify tanks by "cucumberbehaviour" ;)). I know that sounds funny, but i made that experience. I guess it depends on the quantity of bacteria etc. that decompose the cucumber. If you realize that the cucumber starts to decompose or even water turbidity, remove it immideatly.

Greetings... Achim

edit: Heok Hee stop posting faster than me ! ;) ;)
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Yellow and gren squash last much longer, but it is rare that the cucumber (in my tanks anyway) lasts more than one night. Spinach works well as do asparagus and broccoli stems. Green beans are also a real favorite.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
BK
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Wisconsin

Post by BK »

i would also try zuchini if yours shows little or no intrest in cucumbers. my plecos all eat cucumber but go absolutely crazy over fresh zuchini (every thing including skin is gone in 3-6 hours). other pleco foods i have used with moderate success with my different types of plecos are cantaloupe, yellow squash, sweet potato, small shrimp(cheap pinkish ones), spinach, and collard greens. I have heard of others feeding mussels and clams from the grocery store.
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Ive never had any meateaters except for my L114 but i feed my L15/77/144 with potatos and they love them...they keep their consistence for about 3-4 days at 26°C i usually throw a small one halved in when im away for a couple of days and when it starts to get soft even corys feed on it...cheap source of food (here at least)
cheers
Christian
BIGblue

Post by BIGblue »

Is it better to anchor your greens down with a clip, or should i just let it sit on the gravel?

I had no clue plecos ate so many different types of vegies. Thanks everyone.
Image Angel
Cartman
Location 1: MN, USA

Post by Cartman »

lets see what do I feed...
Meatier....
diced Shrimp/Prawns (I buy the 50-60 cts fresh at the seafood counter)
Mussels (On occasions i'll cube but lately i'll just split the shell wash out the juices and toss it in, it's always cleaned out in the morning so I just grab my tongs and fish them out, also fresh from seafood counter)
I've tried Oysters but they don't work well because my wife eats them all before i can get them in the tank.
Frozen Bloodworms (Hikari or SFBB)
Frozen Spirulina Enriched Brine shrimp (SFBB, I quit live brine shrimp as I lost a couple fish to some strange diseases and couldn't find anything else to blame.)

Greens....
Spinach
Cucumber
Zuchini
Romaine
Peas
Squash

Prepared foods...
HBH African Attack Sinking Pellets
HBH Graze (Spirulina) Flake
HBH Basic Growth Flake
Cyclopeeze
Wardley Sinking Shrimp Pellets
Wardley Spirulina Tablets
Wardley Algae Tablets (yes they're different than the spirulina)
Ocean Nutrition Algae Tablets

I'm sure i'm forgetting something but this is all I can think of currently w/o going to look.
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Potatoes just drop to the bottom with no help...with cucumber i attach a slatestone to it with a rubberband...

I forgot that ive tried beans, boiled eggwhite (i did it only once cauz im not sure if has too much proteine), almost everything thats green...
cheers
Christian
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

;) here's the list

Meat/prepared
Earthworm flakes
Spirulina flakes
Staple flakes
Cichlid flakes
Earthworm pellets
Shrimp pellets
Sinking Carnivore pellets
Sinking pellets
Spirulina wafers
Salad shrimp
Bloodworms
Brine shrimp
Plankton
Blackworms

for veggies it's mainly just cucumbers, although sometimes Nori will last long enough to be eaten.
BIGblue

Post by BIGblue »

S. Allen wrote:Meat/prepared
What do you mean by meat/prepared? Actual store bought meat?
Image Angel
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Sorry, joining this thread a bit late.

Where I live, "bloodworm" is synonymous with "blackworm". Blood/black worms are a freshwater oligochaete, order Lumbriculida, species Lumbriculus variegatus. They don't come from polluted water. Tubifex worms do. Blackworms will actually die off quickly in water that's not cool and clean. But sometimes and in some places, tubifex worms (which come from the order Tubificida) seem to be called "bloodworms".

How long veggies like cucumber and zucchini will last in water depends a lot on the water temperature. In warm water, they'll disintegrate much more quickly.

Never tried potatos. Tried sweet potato on a big royal pleco, and that did not seem to go over big. Has anyone tried cooked rice?

Dinyar
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

My zebras eat:
Frozen Bloodworms
Frozen Brine Shrimp
Hilkari Sinking Wafers
O.S.I. Shrimp Pellets
Hilkari Algae Wafers (Rare Ocassions)

I plan on trying Mussels again. I tried one other time, but it didn't work.

If you are interested in greens such as spinach, I made a pretty cool "pleco feeder" a while back. You can see it my home page: http://clayt101.tripod.com :)
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
Achim

Post by Achim »

Hi Dinyar,
Where I live, "bloodworm" is synonymous with "blackworm". Blood/black worms are a freshwater oligochaete, order Lumbriculida, species Lumbriculus variegatus. They don't come from polluted water. Tubifex worms do. Blackworms will actually die off quickly in water that's not cool and clean. But sometimes and in some places, tubifex worms (which come from the order Tubificida) seem to be called "bloodworms".
I always thought bloodworms = Chironomidae larvae. I was actually referring to them.

Achim
Guy
I've donated: $25.00!
Location 1: Ireland

Post by Guy »

Hi! I'm new to the group, but seeing as everyone is making a contribution... I used to feed an old Gibbiceps Koi pond floating sticks. It would choose them over anything else. The only drawback was it had to swim on it's back at the surface to hoover them up because they float. It became quite adept at doing this and provided my nephew and niece with endless fun standing on a chair a popping food straight into Gibby's open mouth. As for nutrient content... haven't a clue! It was only a treat! :P

Guy
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

err... actually, blackworms here are sold live, and are way different than bloodworms, they're not a larval stage of anything. Lumbriculus Variegatus is actually a blackworm, the bloodworm is a totally different species, and, at least as far as most of my books take me, the larvae of the chromiod midge(sp?).

big blue, yeah, I actually buy salad shrimp at the grocery store, the stingrays will rip it to shreds, and small pieces fly out of their spiracles as they chew, the plecos will dive on this. ;) one time I had a stingray eat an earthworm so fast it passed like 3 or 4 inches through it's spiracle, ;) so I had a panicking stingray trying to eat something that was effectively coming out his ear.
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Post by T »

BigBlue, try to get your L 264 to eat some greens.Mine would only eat shrimp, bloodworms and squid(he loved this).But he developed an internal problem(hs belly swelled up really bad)and died.I cant be sure but I would blame this on not having enough fibre in his diet.
noki
Location 1: United States of the Bush Empire

Post by noki »

lots of types of fish like blanched Zuccinni... it always disappears completely after about 48- 60 hours... i'm not sure who cleans it up completely among the Plecos, Tanganyikan Synodontis and Loaches, but it always disappears... lots of Cichlids love to eat out the centers, even if they would never eat plants in nature...

i'm not sure of whether there is all that much nutrition for all the fish, but it is a cheap easy way to give the fish some variety and activity... most other veggies, i end up having to clean it out of the tank
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

As for fresh foods, I feed mine Cucumber, Zuchini, Canned Green Beans (unsalted), Peas, yellow squash, and spinich. The all around favorite is zuchini. I usued to boil it in the microave for a minute to make it sink, but I have a very high current in my tank, and it always ended up stuck to the filter after a couple of hours. So now I spear it with a small stainless steal rod, to which I attach ti to a rock with elastics. This way it's fresher, keeps more of the viamines. They also seem to prefer the taste of it unboiled. I put a piece about 1/3 inch thick in tonight and it was half gone within a couple of hours, and not that many of them had found it yet :) I'm sure it will be all gone when I get home.

I like to alternated with both my fresh foods and my dry foods. I usually buy several kinds of sinking algae wafers and pellets, along with shrimp pellets. I put them all into a tupperwear containter and mix it up. It's like Catfish trailmix. Feeding time I just reach in a grab a few of whatever my hands fall on. :)
Sari
Location 1: Helsinki, Finland

Post by Sari »

My fish's menu sound a lot like Ben's.
For greens I give cucumber, zucchini, spinach, peas, salad. Zucchini is the most popular, I give an about 5 cm (2") piece every two or three nights, slice it in half, spear the pieces with a teaspoon so it sinks and the pieces are always gone by morning.

I also have a pellet mix, I buy several kinds at once, mix them in a container (not Tupperware, though :D ) and give whatever comes to hand to keep the menu varied.

Just like Guy's Gibby, my big Common likes to swim on his back (or "standing up") and eat from the surface, especially flakes. I can always hear when he does that, he makes a big slurping sound. :P
Saara
Location 1: Helsinki, Finland
Interests: jogging, reading

Post by Saara »

I have a bit different diet for Hypancistrus and Baryancistrus: with Hypancistrus the emphasis on meaty foods and with Baryancistrus on green foods. My panaqolus seems to like the kind of food I give to hypancistrus but likes veggies more than they do.

I have tried with succes the following foods: brown beans, soya beans, zucchini, cucumber, white cabbage, Chinese cabbage, raw carrot, frozen mosquito larvae, frozen brine shrimp, frozen shrimp, frozen fish, home made frozen food mix (so called räkmix) and various kinds of tablets. Some plecos seem to like certain kind of tablets while the others do not touch them.

My plecos didn't touch the piece of banana and potato I gave them. Caol_ila, did you boil the potato slice before you gave it to them or did you give it to them raw? Did you mean that they started to eat the potato when it had softened a bit in the water?
Last edited by Saara on 17 Feb 2003, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
Ora et labora.
BobsUncle
Location 1: Victoria, B.C. Canada

Pl*co food

Post by BobsUncle »

My sailfin had an affinity for the following, in order of preference:

Zucchini (god help anything that went near it)
Brine shrimp (dried cubes, went absolutely nuts over them)
Long english cucumber
Tubifex worms (again, dried cubes)
Peas
Shrimp pellets
Spirulina discs
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Might be a translation problem but i thought bloodworms are the ones achim showed...i was just going by color of the mosquito larvae (white/black/red)...i dont feed tubifex at all...
Imho you can distinguish the origin by just smelling the food...as bloodworms and tubifex smell like theyre direct from the toilet...

Ive considered feeding mussels, shrimp and stuff like that but to be honest id rather save them for me as i dont have the money to throw them in the tanks...

I also forgot...how about feeding fruits? Apples for example? I tried a tiny piece of Banana but they didnt really accept it well...
cheers
Christian
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:4, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

Caol_ila wrote:I also forgot...how about feeding fruits? Apples for example? I tried a tiny piece of Banana but they didnt really accept it well...
At work I can get through several pounds of fruit a week feeding the fish.
Peaches, nectarines, dates, plums, grapes, apples, pears, cherries, mango........
You name it, they'll chew on it. I have found that they are not too fond of citrus fruits, and they mouth banana and then I usually have to remove what's left.
To save the work budget I normally buy the fruit myself and then give whatever I don't eat to the fish.

The vegetables they get are similarly diverse in range, but courgette, potato and sweet potato are top of the list.
BIGblue

Post by BIGblue »

I have tried feeding my Leporacanthicus Joselimai cucumber and lettuce with no luck. He won't touch it.

I'm going to try fruit next, see how that goes.
Image Angel
Darkangel
Location 1: Oshawa Ont Canada
Interests: Catfish, Mostly synos and cories and pleco types, livebearers mostly wild type xiph's.

Post by Darkangel »

Just a few of the things I feed that are not in the above posts, pumpkin, spaghettl squash, cooked rice, and frozen mysis shrimp.
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

hey guys i just bought a bit cellery and my blue eyed bruno has come out quite curious...hasnt eaten though i think...maybe the aphridisiatic effects will bring me offspring :)
cheers
Christian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”