What's the most beautiful, easy-to-keep-alive Plec?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
PlecoRising
Location 1: MidAtlantic US

What's the most beautiful, easy-to-keep-alive Plec?

Post by PlecoRising »

Hi. Does anyone know? I once had a gold nugget pleco which died after a few days (I now hate them). Thanks if you can help!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Bristlenoses would be my bet.
PlecoRising

Post by PlecoRising »

Aren't they kind of disgusting looking? (no offense)
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

Well, beauty is what you perceive. :D I find my BN pleco male to be the most attractive of any of my fish.
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
plecosaur
Location 1: Longmont, CO
Interests: biology, botany, and fish!

Post by plecosaur »

Some people dislike the bristles on bristlenose pleco's, but if that's the reason you don't like them you can get a female BN that will have none of those marks or very small ones depending on spp. If you think the coloration of BN's you see in the store is drab, I beg to differ. :) But, personal preference again. Other BN's show some really interesting coloration too. The starlight bristlenose (L183) is one of my favorite ancistrus.

I've also had great success with different Peckolita species that seem to be able to take any kind of abuse and shrug it off.

BN's and Peckolita's are on the small side though. A real beauty that is a good size (12") is a L014 Goldy/Sunshine pleco. They always seem to thrive in the aquarium. L200 Green Phantom pleco's are very adaptable and are beautiful in their own sublime way, and only gets to around 6".
PlecoRising

Post by PlecoRising »

Thanks for the great advice Tar and Plecosaur!

I believe all plecos are special, despite if they have a grotesque appendage hanging of them (J/K!)

I will look for these plecos you mention, Plecosaur. Kind thanks again:)[/img]
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

plecosaur, you seem to have tastes similar to mine, and not too far off ;)

I would suggest peckoltia if you can get them healthy, but I never had too much of a problem with hypancistrus either, really.
patrickstockton
Location 1: Portland, Oregon USA

Post by patrickstockton »

no offense either (but uber-toungue-in-cheek-humour intended), But suggesting the relatively banal "Bushynose" ancistrus as "the most beautiful of the L#'s" is as analogous to stating that a pug is the prettiest canine. Some may think so, but not many. There are undoubtedly beautiful ancistrus, but i think most would find them to be not quite the "supermodel" of L#'s.

But, our bushy friends are always brought into the limelight when someone exudes the slightest stink of being someone with a life beyond their aquarium. Its like telling the person who is looking for a good CD to get "the new one by N-Sync." What is the newbie asking about??? Oh just tell them to get an ancistrus.....

I hope this came across as intended. just funnying. Tastes and preferences and opinions are pretty funny sometimes...... I know that i would rather people not know some of mine.

But to throw my hat into the endless ring of subjectivity i state the Royal Panaque in any of its forms as my vote! Watermelon, blue-eye, broken-line, spotted, gold line, dull eye........ who cares! these fish are gorgeous (unles swimming)!

on the smaller size i'd have to go with the L-260 queen arabesque.
PlecoRising

Post by PlecoRising »

I have a 9" Common pleco who who I consider to be georgeous--plus he has personality!
blackmystus
Location 1: Carlisle, Cumbria, UK
Interests: Catfish and oddballs

all plecos easy to keep

Post by blackmystus »

all plecs are suitable. pick a number........ :P
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

Amen, blackmys, amen to that.

I have kept more than bristlenose plecos, but I still see my male as my most beautiful fish. But give me a few weeks, I just got a clown pleco too.... ;)

The point again is that beauty is what you see it.
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
jswledhed
Location 1: Temple terrace, Florida

Post by jswledhed »

I'm pretty fond of my clown and butterfly pl*cs. And neither was particularly difficult to acclimate. 8)
And in the evenin' when the sun is sinkin' low,
And everybody's with the one they love,
I walk the town, keep a-searchin' all around
lookin' for my street corner girl.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”