Syndontis - ?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
psyp
Location 1: Norway

Syndontis - ?

Post by psyp »

Can anyone tell me somthing about this hybrid sucker pretty please? I know its a syndontis, but im afraid that's as far as it goes! Any information is neat. Thanks.

Ps. sorry for the lousy picture, my DigiCam has a cheap autofocus.

psyp

Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

You're also right about it being a hybrid. Husbandry should be similar to that of most other riverine synos.

Rusty
psyp
Location 1: Norway

Post by psyp »

Yeah, someone told me it was a somesort of hybrid. Does anyone know how big can expect it to become? Thanks

psyp
blackmystus
Location 1: Carlisle, Cumbria, UK
Interests: Catfish and oddballs

unid'd syno

Post by blackmystus »

hi all, have had a few of these lal things come my way. some have turned out to be petricolas and some were granulos. synos. most were njassae. came from a rift tank of a friends. i would say that your syno is more than likely to be a Zambes or njassae sp. they all vary in the amount of spots they have. i take it that your fish is what, 3-4"? if it is, then i would say that we have a juv. synodontis njassae. would anyone else like to add further? im just guessing. says me with a hangover and a broken heater this morning!! dont ask me how it broke i have no idea. :?

Dave@
BMFH, Carlisle.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I still say that fish is definitely not an S. petricola, nor is it a granulosus. I personally don't think it resembles njassae either (no small spotting on the face, wrong basic shape), IMO. Here are the two pictures to compare.

Syno. njassae

Mystery Syno

Because it DOES resemble a hybrid, you're only going to be "guesstimating" at its eventual size, without being able to figure out what the ancestral fish were, and praying you don't see hybrid vigor I suppose. I'd guess it will get at least 6 inches and need typical syno fare, meat, veggies, and whatever else you happen to be feeding. They aren't picky. It's very difficult to find information to compare to with man made fish, as there isn't a collection locale and the "general idea" of the adult sized specimens they saw while collecting.

Barbie

Return to “What is my catfish?”