Algae Fix

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
shamgar1
Location 1: Texas

Algae Fix

Post by shamgar1 »

I am having problems with bearded algae (the long stringy brownish green stuff). I have live plants. I have a bristlenose, clown pleco, and rubbermouth pleco. Does anyone know if treating the tank with AlgaeFix will hurt the plecos? I am worried about them eating the dying or dead algae. I know some non aquatic plants build up natural amounts of acids internally as they die and can hurt livestock that eat them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also have 5 discus in the tank, so I'm in no hurry to buy any nippy fish like flag fish (I've heard they eat this algae.)
Thanks,
Shamgar
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Algae Fix and the like have never done a lot for me. Depending on how bad my beard algae infestation was, I would do one of two things: throw the exisiting plants away and start again, or remove them from the tank, dip in a weak bleach solution (say 1 part household bleach diluted with 19 parts water) for 5-10 minutes and then replant them. Of course, you need to address the causes of the algae problem, or it will just grow back. Visit thekrib.com or Google "Sears Conklin" to get a better understanding of why algae grows in aquaria and how to keep it at bay.

Dinyar
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Other fish that work very effectively at eating that hair algae is Siamese Algae eaters (do a search) and long fin rosy barbs. The rosy barbs will amaze you with their diligence at removing the stuff from their house, and aren't at all nippy. I've kept them in most of my planted community tanks, even with angels with no problem whatsoever.

Another fish that is amazing at keeping the stuff at bay is Synodontis petricola, believe it or not. They won't be terribly happy in discus water, but if you had a second tank... hehe. Any excuse for more tanks, donchaknow ;)

Barbie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”