Which Catfishes swim in midwater?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
marDH
Location 1: Suomi Finland

Which Catfishes swim in midwater?

Post by marDH »

Could u please help me on this? I´d like to study about these fishes whom swim in midwater.
I know the Kryptopterus bicirrhis do so but, are there any other species?

Thanks for helping..............and ignoring my puor english :oops:
Hauki on kala !
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Many other silurids and all schilbeids are midwater swimmers. Look under the families Siluridae and Schilbeidae in the Cat-eLog.
Examples include (Schilbeidae) and (Siluridae).
spikythefish
Location 1: nyob, USA

Post by spikythefish »

k.minor
Mika
Location 1: Helsinki,Finland

Post by Mika »

corydoras pygmaeus
Well i wish i was a catfish
swimmin in a oh, deep, blue sea (Muddy Waters, Catfish blues)
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

adding from South America:
Dianema urostriata, D longibarbis, Hoplosternum punctatum and Hoplosternum littorale.

adding from Asia:
Pseudeutropius brachypopterus, Neotropius spp, Rama chandramara, Hyalobagrus flavus; all of wich are very suitable for the hometank, all are small shoaling, peaceful catfishes.

adding from Africa:
pareutropius spp, Schilbe spp and Parailia spp.
all shoalers, the Schilbe's are moderately big (about 1 foot -30 cm- or so when adult) and will eat small fish, the others are tiny and peaceful.

are you researching fishes for the aquarium? because if you research ANY midwaterdwelling cat....it turns into a whole different ballgame, adding piscivores like Ageneiosus, monsters like Wallago and Pangasius etc etc
Valar Morghulis
UNTgolf
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Dallas,TX
Interests: Chemistry, corys

Post by UNTgolf »

Corydoras hastatus is also a midwater swimmer if he was not also mentioned. They school like neon tetra's almost, I have a group of them they are wonderful!!
Sean
Elspeth
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Kansas City, Missouri

Post by Elspeth »

Midwater cories? That's very cool!

What are the average sizes for the Hoplosternums? I haven't seen size mentioned in the cat-eLog.

Also, while these are midwater swimmers, do they need bottom space for resting and hiding in? Or will they hide happily in plants?
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

both Dianema and the Hoplo punctatum max out about 3,5"or so. D urostriata can get 4,5 but rarely.

those three are active swimmers, and like to rest on broadleafed plants, like Cryptocoryne ponterifolia or Anubias. They also use the sand (there should be an open sandspace) but they really prefer a rest a little above floorlevel.
probably a better view.
pieces of bogwood and flat rocks are alsi used. Plants are perfect for hiding.

they ONLY show their interesting behaviour when kept properly, wich means you should get at least 5, 7-8 is much better!
as single, duo or trio, they can and probably will be very shy and sluggish, lying on the sand, hiding all the time.
safety in numbers is their motto!
Valar Morghulis

Return to “Speak Easy”