Channel Cat

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
ME
Location 1: Canada,Burlington
Interests: asd

Channel Cat

Post by ME »

How big do channel cats get :?: :!: :?: , and i was thinking of making a pond but I need to size up how big it should be.
ME
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

About 28".
wizkidd26
Location 1: Hampshire, IL

Post by wizkidd26 »

28 "? No sirree bob. I've sucessfully raised two past 36" in a 500 gallon tank (a bit tight though) but they died when the pump that filtered the tank short-circuited in the water. (They were electrocuted). But the majority of them do die at smaller sizes from natural causes. For the most part, if you raise them in a pond, they can get quite large. In the tank, the same thing goes, but they tend to get a bit "frisky" when they get cramped. So a long and wide (height doesnt really matter as long as there is at least 18" of water over them) tank is recommended to get the best out of them. To make your catfish happy, I would suggest you make the pond as big as you possibly can. I like to compare it as humans to houses. Would you like a small, cramped house or one huge kick a$$ house? Same goes for these fish.
Thelonious
Location 1: Mobile,Alabama

Post by Thelonious »

Ive Read They Can Get About 4 Feet In Length. :shock:
Wood
Location 1: N.Y. State
Interests: Catfish Plecos Tanganyikan cichlids

Post by Wood »

:shock: Well I have not seen Silirus wrong, But I have seen channel cats 4 feet long!! I have a picture of a 3.6 foot one I caught. Good luck. :shock:
lilobitrice14
Location 1: Michigan
Interests: fish,fish,and more fish

Post by lilobitrice14 »

They can get up to 5 feet maybe 6 feet.We have em here in ohio in the channels.
55 gallon -gourami,goldfish,and,silverdollar,and plec,also can't forget my pictus cat
20 gallon -breeding pair of convicts
Wood
Location 1: N.Y. State
Interests: Catfish Plecos Tanganyikan cichlids

Post by Wood »

:D Wow. Thanks for verifying that. I thought so! :D :D That was a long time between posts on this subject.
lilobitrice14
Location 1: Michigan
Interests: fish,fish,and more fish

Post by lilobitrice14 »

If you walk on the telephone poles above the channels,you look down and see some channel cats like 5 feet long kinda scares me and i've been walking on them for 3 years. :lol:
55 gallon -gourami,goldfish,and,silverdollar,and plec,also can't forget my pictus cat
20 gallon -breeding pair of convicts

Return to “Other Catfishes”