Cory ID - julii, trilineatus?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
fishtank
Location 1: MA, USA

Cory ID - julii, trilineatus?

Post by fishtank »

Hi,

This is my first post here on the forums, and I'm looking for confirmation on the ID of a group of cories.

I got these cories as C. Julii, but after reading the profiles and looking at pictures online, I now believe I have C. Trilineatus. Still, from the pictures I've seen, the lines on Trilineatus seem to be less well defined than the ones on the fish I have...

Please check the picture (link below) and let me know what you think.

pictures

Thanks!
xsu-xsu
Location 1: Connah's Quay, Wales, UK
Interests: Corydoras!!!

Post by xsu-xsu »

I'm fairly sure they are trilineatus. c. julii have spots on the forehead rather than lines.

However, trilineatus have very wavy lines on their body too and yours don't seem to have that feature so tyhey may be something else entirely. Definitely not julii though!!
Every morning when I wake, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh!
a.d.wood
I've donated: $15.00!
Location 1: Staffs, UK
Location 2: Staffordshire, UK

Post by a.d.wood »

Hi there,

If you have access to the aqualog book 'all corydoras' check page 47 (pic ref S20840-4), > C. trilineatus with well defined pattern > just like yours!!!!!

Andrew
Into Cichlids, in the UK, please check out the British Cichlid Association
Fish Demon
Location 1: SF Bay Area
Interests: I keep lots of fish, but I am really interested in catfish (especially corys).

Post by Fish Demon »

I am 100% sure those are C. trilineatus. They look just like mine and just about every picture I've seen of the species.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
-Natalie

April 20, 2001

Q: How tall is Cartman in real life?

A: Well, Cartman doesn't exist in real life, but if he did he'd be two feet tall.
fishtank
Location 1: MA, USA

Post by fishtank »

Thanks everyone for helping ID my cories!
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

The colour patterns of both species are variable, but C. trilineatus is the most diverse ranging from thick heavy wavy lines and blotches to thin delicate lines and spots. Other than the fact that the two species come from area's thousands of kilometers apart the body shape of C. julii is far slimmer than C. trilineatus when viewed head on.

Ian

Return to “What is my catfish?”