I need help IDing this catfish

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Ancistrus claro
Location 1: Lake Elsinore, CA USA
Interests: Pretty obvious, otherwise I wouldn't be here.

I need help IDing this catfish

Post by Ancistrus claro »

Hi, I recently caught a catfish in my local lake, Lake Elsinore, in South-West California. I can't ID it.

It is round, very slimey, a drab green in color, has a pale underside, long "whiskers," and is about 2.5-feet long. Any help would be appreciated! :?

BTW, whatever this type of cat is lives on the bottom of the 30ft. deep lake and eats snails and a small, almost pirahna-like fish called the Blue Gill.

NOTE: It closely resembles the above
Ancistrus are my favorite kinds of plecos.
wizkidd26
Location 1: Hampshire, IL

Post by wizkidd26 »

That size is rather large for a bullhead (and the white catfish for that matter) as the biggest one I have caught was 1.5 feet long and it was a black bullhead. I'm starting to think that you're talking about a flathead catfish, pylodictus olivarus. Those things look either like a wet log or a giant living turd (which would match your description) when you get them out of the water. Their favorite food at that size would be the bluegills, although snails wouldn't be a problem for them to eat. I'm 99% certian you caught a flathead catfish, hope you enjoyed catching it. (You DID release it, did you?)
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I agree that it's a flathead cat. Is this it?
Ancistrus claro
Location 1: Lake Elsinore, CA USA
Interests: Pretty obvious, otherwise I wouldn't be here.

Post by Ancistrus claro »

Silurus wrote:I agree that it's a flathead cat. Is this it?
That is it. No doubt.

Thanks for the replies!

NOTE: Yeah, wizkidd, I released. There's no room in any of my tanks to fit it, the biggest I got is a fully-stocked 80-gallon. Wouldn't want it, anyways.
Ancistrus are my favorite kinds of plecos.

Return to “What is my catfish?”