L264 breeding????

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
a.d.wood
I've donated: $15.00!
Location 1: Staffs, UK
Location 2: Staffordshire, UK

L264 breeding????

Post by a.d.wood »

Hi there folks,

I have been very fortunate and managed to pick up 5 of these very pretty plecos during the last month (all from the same shipment so assume wild caught). They are between 12 and 15cm in length, well coloured and feeding on algae wafers, bloodworm, chopped mussel etc (in fact everything I use for the discus as they are sharing the same tank just now!!!).

Does anyone have advice on breeding. In particular tank set up (floor area, decor etc) and conditions to stimulate spawning.

Thanks
Into Cichlids, in the UK, please check out the British Cichlid Association
Whiteysfish
Location 1: GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGAN
Interests: PLECOS PLECOS AND CICHLIDS

Post by Whiteysfish »

One, yours arent big enough to breed yet. They are an awesome predator fish, as I have been breeding them for years-IMO juveniles look better as they get older, they lose the white tips. I have info on these fish over at http://www.cichliidtank.com, just only with one 'i', Register and then goto the message board, under the community link.
Check out my site-www.cichliidtank.com, except only one i
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
a.d.wood

Post by a.d.wood »

Thanks for the replies.

Should have specified that the 12 to 15cm was SL.

Whiteysfish > are we talking about the same fish here > in the cat e log > L264, Sultan Pleco. SL detailed at approx 15cm, therefore mine full grown (almost????). Also detailed as primary herbivore (with a little meat added to the diet), gets on with other lively bottom dwellers but note the point on territory disputes. This just doesn't sound like the awesome predator fish you describe :? :?:

Been over to the cichlidtank.com website (already registered) and can't firnd any reference to L264????????

Thanks
pturley

Post by pturley »

adoo wrote:
Also detailed as primary herbivore (with a little meat added to the diet),
I would think that this may be an error. IMO, these fish are primarily carnivorous, with very little interest in green foods. Mine readily feed on live Mysis shrimp, live snails, cockles, blender mix (fish, prawns, zuchinni, other good stuff).

Yes 12-15cm SL would be about reproductive size. I would think your fish are large enough to breed.

I haven't heard any reports of spawning this fish in the aquarium, Whiteysfish, care to post the details here on PC or submit an article for the site?
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
a.d.wood

Post by a.d.wood »

Thanks Paul,

Have you got them on their own??? Currently in with discus (all over 10cm diameter), appreciate that breeding will require a specific set up, just wondering about the short term????

Andrew
pturley

Post by pturley »

I currently have six in a 75 gallon tank for grow out (~10-12cm currently). They still have a bit of growing to do before I can hope to spawn them. It's them, five L-147s @ 2.5" SL, and 16 Hyphessobrycon columbianus as dither.

When they get to size, I'll set them up similar to the L-7s I have been working with for the past nine months. 30 or 40 breeder, lots of current and very warm then well see what happens.

BTW: I have a male Leporacanthicus galaxias actively trying to lure a female into his cave! He has been fanning (as if on eggs) for the past three to four days. My fingers are cramped from being crossed for so long!
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”