white algea

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
ACE1
Location 1: UK grimsby
Interests: CATFISH

white algea

Post by ACE1 »

i have what looks like white algea on my tank has any one had this on there tanks and how did you get rid of it please.
GLAD TO HELP OR BE HELPED
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Where is this "algae" growing on? I think you have fungus.
ACE1
Location 1: UK grimsby
Interests: CATFISH

Post by ACE1 »

on the sides of my tank
GLAD TO HELP OR BE HELPED
Crazie.Eddie
Location 1: Illinois

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

I think it's fungus also. What type of filter are you running? How much are you feeding your fish? Fungus is usually caused by overfeeding and/or not enough circulation in those areas it's growing on. Also, bad water conditions. If you test for ammonia and nitrites/nitrates, what are the readings? If you not, GO GET A TEST KIT. This is benificial in helping resolve problems with your tank.
- Ed

125 Gallon (1*L018 Gold Nugget, 1*L204 Flash, 1*L260 Queen Arabesque, 5*Discus, 5*Angels, 5*Clown loaches, 8*Harlequin Rasboras, 3*Rainbowfishes, 5*Otocinclus, 7*Cories)
20 Gallon Long (2*L046 Zebras, 1*L183 Starlight Bristlenose, 10+* Cherry shrimp, 4*Otocinclus)
20 Gallon Long (20+* Cherry shrimp, 5*Amano shrimp, 2*Bamboo shrimp)
CaTfiSh CoMRaD
Interests: Fishing, aquariums, rocketry, media

Post by CaTfiSh CoMRaD »

Ewww :oops: This kind of stuff is GROSS

If I am thinking of the same stuff you are, this stuff can be pretty disgusting. It could be a fungus or a kind of water-borne mold, which usually lives in areas where there is decomposing bacterial matter or other organic substance. I've been finding this stuff all over places where there there are dead fish or old food. It's a mold/fungus wonderland. Sometimes algae can appear light in coloration, but in order to produce their food they need to have chlorophyl (green algae) or other types of organic formulas (red & yellow algae).

I always keep an eye on any extra food that is not eaten by fish or areas of poor oxydation, where bacteria are likely to die and be eaten by fungi. I hope this information helps.

Good luck

Return to “Tank Talk”