Algaefying Your Tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
azn_phil
Location 1: Ontario, Canada

Algaefying Your Tank

Post by azn_phil »

I would like to enhance and promote even more algae growth in my tank, as i have quite a few plecos in my tank.
Anyone have tips on maximizing algae growth? I know this is contradicting to conventional fishkeeping hehe....but i'm a pleco man what can i say...
I know putting the tank under direct sunlight will do....but its hard to move a tank when its large...what tips/suggestions you guys have? i.e. lighting, etc.
shamgar1
Location 1: Texas

Post by shamgar1 »

Let me have a go at it for a few weeks and you'll have plenty!! :lol: :lol:
Just kidding, not sure how to encourage it. I can never stop it.
muridae
Location 1: Philadelphia, PA

Post by muridae »

You know those UVB bulbs that they sell for reptiles? I accidentally put one of those on my goldfish tank, and the algae growth exploded. There was lots of slimy green algae everywhere. I bet if you used them to light your tank, you'd have lots of algae for the plecos to eat.

This is the kind I mean:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 006+113030
RogerMcAllen
I've donated: $35.00!
Location 1: Champaign, IL, USA

Post by RogerMcAllen »

Growing algae in a tank full of hungry plecos seems like it might be kinda hard. What if you set up a 10 gallon tank and filled it with flat rocks. Seed the tank with algae, place it somewhere it will get lots of direct sunlight, and let it go nuts, just cycle the rocks out of this tank and you might be able to get a descent crop.
Last edited by RogerMcAllen on 05 Feb 2004, 02:25, edited 1 time in total.
aquaholic
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia
Interests: Catfish, tankbusters and cichlids

Post by aquaholic »

Theres no need to algae-fy your tank. I use small hardwood sticks on rotation to cultivate algae. I have a small hole drilled with a coat hanger wire hook at one end and so I can just slip the 'eaten ones' out and replace with fresh ones daily. Outside I have about 7 numbered tubs to grow more algae on sticks. A pinch of liquid fertilizer in the direct sun and 7 days is all I need for fresh thick algae.

Winston
Gabriel
Location 1: Maryland
Interests: Many things, particularly biotope aquaria.

Post by Gabriel »

Sheesh, I only wish I could send you some of mine. Trice-weekly water changes and my little school of Otos haven't so much as put a dent in my crop--I finally ordered a UV sterilizer for the spores and am contemplating a pair of pl*cos for the green stuff.

My secret? 110W on 46 gallons, few plants, and overenthusiastic use of liquid fetrilizers. Basically, strong light + excessive nutrients = algae.
Last edited by Gabriel on 13 Feb 2004, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Post by Beersnob »

Or encourage a higher (but safe for the fish) nitrite/nitrate levels in your tank. That is usually when I have the most algae issues.
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”