Redefining Hypostomus khimaera

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 141
My cats species list: 144 (i:102, k:37)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2680)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 182
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Redefining Hypostomus khimaera

Post by bekateen »

Carvalho, Vandergleison de, et al. 2024. Revisiting Hypostomus khimaera (Siluriformes: Loricariidae): the identity of a morphologically variable species. Neotropical Ichthyology, 22(03): e240057.
https://doi.org/10.1590/1982-0224-2024-0057
https://www.scielo.br/j/ni/a/ZTCW5B4g9WDfRfHsq7WLdgn/
Abstract , described from the upper rio Paraguai basin in Brazil, was reported to present some morphological variations in its original description, which allied to its relatively wide geographical distribution reinforced the need for a new assessment of its taxonomic status. Here, we analyzed a new robust set of material, composed by 636 specimens from several localities within the upper rio Paraguai basin, besides the material listed in the original description. From this, it was possible to better understand the limits of the species providing a more accurate diagnosis and a redescription for H. khimaera, which also brought some light to the limits of the H. cochliodon group itself. The species can be distinguished from its congeners by having the following features: (I) absence of a notch between the metapterygoid and hyomandibula, (II) acutely angled dentaries, with up to about 90°, (III) teeth with medial cusp ranging from villiform to shovel-shaped, (IV) opercle completely surrounded by a thick layer of skin, (V) a longitudinal dark stripe along middle portion of flanks, which is variably diffuse, and (VI) dark spots on at least one part of the body. Although morphological and color pattern differences have been found in different populations along the upper rio Paraguai basin, all examined specimens are herein considered to belong to H. khimaera, a decision based on both morphologic and molecular analyses. Additionally, an updated identification key for the Hypostomus species in the Brazilian portion of the upper rio Paraguai basin is also provided.

Keywords:
Armored catfish; Hypostomus cochliodon; Identification key; Rio Paraguai basin; Taxonomy

Resumo
Hypostomus khimaera, descrita da bacia do alto rio Paraguai no Brasil, apresentou algumas variações morfológicas em sua descrição original, o que, aliado à sua distribuição geográfica relativamente ampla, reforçou a necessidade de uma nova avaliação de seu status taxonômico. Aqui, nós analisamos um novo conjunto robusto de material, composto por 636 exemplares de diversas localidades da bacia do alto rio Paraguai, além do material listado na descrição original. A partir disso, foi possível compreender melhor os limites da espécie, proporcionando um diagnóstico mais preciso e uma redescrição de H. khimaera, que também trouxe alguma luz aos limites do próprio grupo H. cochliodon. A espécie pode ser distinguida de suas congêneres por apresentar as seguintes características: (I) ausência de um entalhe entre o metapterigóide e a hiomandíbula, (II) dentários agudamente angulados, com cerca de até 90°, (III) dentes com cúspide medial variando de viliforme a em forma de pá, (IV) opérculo completamente margeado por uma espessa camada de pele, (V) uma faixa escura longitudinal ao longo da porção média dos flancos, que é variavelmente difusa, e (VI) manchas escuras em pelo menos uma parte do corpo. Embora diferenças morfológicas e de padrão de cor tenham sido encontradas em diferentes populações ao longo da bacia do alto rio Paraguai, todos os espécimes examinados são aqui considerados como pertencentes à H. khimaera, uma decisão baseada em ambas análises morfológicas e moleculares. Adicionalmente, uma chave de identificação atualizada para as espécies de Hypostomus da porção brasileira da bacia do alto rio Paraguai também é fornecida.

Palavras chave:
Bacia do rio Paraguai; Cascudo; Chave de identificação; Hypostomus cochliodon; Taxonomia
Attachments
FIGURE 8 |<br />General morphology and color pattern in life of Hypostomus khimaera in lateral view. A. CITL 1156, 151.1 mm SL, from the ribeirão Pedro Gomes, rio Piquiri basin; B. Uncatalogued, 100.0 mm SL, from the rio Curupira, a tributary of the rio Pari; C. Non-preserved specimen, 100.0 mm SL, from the córrego Criminoso, a tributary of the rio Taquari; D. 250.0 mm SL and E. 150.0 mm SL, both uncatalogued, from a tributary of the rio Juba, rio Sepotuba basin; F, G and H. uncatalogued specimens, all with approximately 100.0 mm SL, from the córrego Fortaleza, rio Taquari basin; I. CITL 1140, 130.0 mm SL, from the córrego Rio Verde, rio Taquari basin.
FIGURE 8 |
General morphology and color pattern in life of Hypostomus khimaera in lateral view. A. CITL 1156, 151.1 mm SL, from the ribeirão Pedro Gomes, rio Piquiri basin; B. Uncatalogued, 100.0 mm SL, from the rio Curupira, a tributary of the rio Pari; C. Non-preserved specimen, 100.0 mm SL, from the córrego Criminoso, a tributary of the rio Taquari; D. 250.0 mm SL and E. 150.0 mm SL, both uncatalogued, from a tributary of the rio Juba, rio Sepotuba basin; F, G and H. uncatalogued specimens, all with approximately 100.0 mm SL, from the córrego Fortaleza, rio Taquari basin; I. CITL 1140, 130.0 mm SL, from the córrego Rio Verde, rio Taquari basin.
Find me on YouTube & Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code bekateen for 15% off your order.
Also, for you Swifties: Https://youtu.be/ZUKdhXL3NCw

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”