Synodontis angelicus compatibility?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Lynsey
Location 1: Santa Barbara

Synodontis angelicus compatibility?

Post by Lynsey »

**This is my first post here. I am not a catfish expert. I know that the Syno's are african and my other fish are not. But I thought is was ok because my water parameters fit the synodontis angelicus.

Here is my set up:
75 gallon tank (5 feet long x 18" wide x 16" tall)
2 - Fluval 404 canister filters

1 - Albino Tiger Oscar (12")
1 - Synodontis Angelicus (5")
7 - Giant danios
1 - Apple snail

I do weekly water changes (25-30%) and gravel vacs.

I wanted to possibly add a striped raphael cat, but I have read that the synodontis angelicus can be aggressive towards others? Would a Platydoras costatus work in this tank? I have trumpet snails in my tank, and was hoping that the raphael cat would keep the numbers down.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.
CatBrat
My cats species list: 38 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Japan
Location 2: ex. New Zealand
Interests: Fish, Fishing, sports, Taking photos of fish

Post by CatBrat »

Hi Lynsey,

Welcome to the planet. I would think that if you provide plenty of hiding places for both catfish you should not run into any problems. My own synodontis angelicus lives in my 4' tank and I see very minamal fighting between it and any of my other cats.

Cheers, CatBrat.
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

compatibility aside Platydoras costatus in my experience dont eat MTS. Loaches are much better.
CaTfiSh CoMRaD
Interests: Fishing, aquariums, rocketry, media

Post by CaTfiSh CoMRaD »

Hello,

Indeed, striped rafaels are fairly peaceful catfish. You cannot count on them feeding on any particular variety of food as they are opportunistic herbivores. My own rafael, which I keep in a 55 gal tank with some bass, panfish, and a yellow bullhead seems to do fine on his own and I've never seen him give any of the other fish trouble. If a fish frequently pesters a rafael he may become moderately defensive and it will incorporate into his behavior, but this would be the only possible conflict.

My reccomendation would be to get a rafael, they usually do fine and are a fun fish to watch! Good luck and happy catfishing.

Tim

Return to “African Catfishes”