wow, so nervous...

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
MackIntheBox
Location 1: Dallas, TX

wow, so nervous...

Post by MackIntheBox »

I just moved my bumblebee cat and my common pleco to their new 55 gallon home. I was so nervous (this is the first time im moving them since they were less than an inch long). They seem to be reacting well to the move. The Bumblebee cat turned its entire face white, it is just now returning to normal. the pleco seems unfazed, lol.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
The Doctor (Robot, 1974/5)
TheSlackersLounge Home for Slackers ;)
SLAP, SLAP, SQUISH! (Penny-Arcade)
CaTfiSh CoMRaD
Interests: Fishing, aquariums, rocketry, media

Post by CaTfiSh CoMRaD »

I'm glad that they did allright. Bumblebee cats and plecos have more trouble with new surroundings than different temperatures. Good luck and happy catfishing.

Tim
Fiskars the Whiskers
Location 1: Ketchikan, Alaska
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

Post by Fiskars the Whiskers »

Oooh, congratulations, Yashmack! I have a 33-ish gallon tank that I think I will be setting up soon to move all of my fish into. I am scared to death! I'm glad your fish sound like they're doing well, though!
Line up!
MackIntheBox

Post by MackIntheBox »

they all seem to be doing fine, both cats look well fed and are fairly active (when I actually see them move, lol)

I think the bumblebee has been hanging out with the common pleco too long, he has started hiding under the small log in the tank... upside down! hehe, its funny to see, he changed position several times during the day, usually when im not watching because I will come to the tank and see he is in a new position, lol. the common pleco is happy, eating, sucking, and hanging out under the large root... upside down... which is why i think the BB is doing the same on his log, hehe.

i will be adding some easy to care for plants to the tank soon, that should add some fun to the tank, i might see the BB chasing the tiger barbs around after lights out, hehe. the BB may get big enough to eat my barbs, so they will probly move to a new tank, not sure though :twisted:
Fiskars the Whiskers
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

Oooh, it is for certain! I just found out I will be staying in Ketchikan for a couple more years (instead of going to college anywhere else), so now I will definitely be upgrading my tank! Yash, do you have any tips since you just upgraded yours? Also, I have one tiger barb. How many do you keep together in your tank? I read that you need at least six together so that they interact with each other, instead of trying to nip everything else in the tank. Have you found this to be true? Do you have any pics of your tank? I'd love to see them!

Yeehaw, I'm so excited for the upgrade!!!
Line up!
MackIntheBox

Post by MackIntheBox »

upgrading the tank is simple, its not as hard as you would think. About the best recomendation I can make is to get your tank paramaters as close to each other as you can, Ph is really going to be the biggest concern, this will be less stressful for the fish. All I did was make sure the Ph was acceptable, then I just added the pleco and the bumblebee, they took to the tank almost immediately, after some exploration they were already hiding in wood and aking up their normal routine, only over several feet of tank instead of 12 inches of tank :razz: hehehe

I dont have any pictures right now but once I get the roll of film developed I should have some pictures and will scan and post them here :)

I have 3 tiger barbs, I had just one and he seemed kinda panicy and not very happy, so i added the other 2, they are very active, I havent seen them go after the cats, i am pretty sure they scared of them, they definately avoid the bumblebee cat.
Fiskars the Whiskers

Oh, whew! I'm glad to hear that combining the fish isn't as hard as I thought it would be! The pH in both of my tanks are the same and the water temp is the same. How did you move the heater? Aren't you supposed to wait until it has cooled before moving it? (Or something like that?)

Okay, so I'm glad that three tiger barbs would be fine together. My one is in a little tank by himself because I don't have room for him anywhere else. He recently upgraded to a bigger tank and has more plants to keep him company, but I definitely know he'd be happier with other fish. He's made the rounds in both of my tanks, but chased fish in one and then was eating on my pleco's tail in the other tank (which did NOT make me happy :x when I finally saw his tail...Scarface was moved immediately back to living by himself).

Alrighty, well, looking forward to seeing pics of your new tank when they're ready! :)
Line up!
MackIntheBox

Post by MackIntheBox »

Fiskars the Whiskers wrote:How did you move the heater? Aren't you supposed to wait until it has cooled before moving it? (Or something like that?)
I didnt move my heater, I didnt have one in the 10 gallon and I bought one for the 55. Its a piece of junk though so I havent used it yet ;)
Fiskars the Whiskers

How do you keep your water warm with no heater? (Or is it because you're in Texas you just don't need no stinkin' heater? :wink: )
Line up!
MackIntheBox

Post by MackIntheBox »

Fiskars the Whiskers wrote:How do you keep your water warm with no heater? (Or is it because you're in Texas you just don't need no stinkin' heater? :wink: )
pretty much ;) my water temp is 76 almost all the time, im sure they would like it a few degrees warmer but I dont trust this heater, I would rather them be happy if a little uncomfortable than boiling and ready to eat :razz: hehe
Fiskars the Whiskers

Good point! Well, here in Alaska we need things like heaters. *L* It started snowing again today. I heard we're supposed to get 10 inches overnight! I'm pretty excited, although sometimes I wish I could crawl in the tank with my fish where it's a nice 79 degrees. :)
Line up!
MackIntheBox

Post by MackIntheBox »

Fiskars the Whiskers wrote:...although sometimes I wish I could crawl in the tank with my fish where it's a nice 79 degrees. :)
LOL!! :lol:
Fiskars the Whiskers

This morning I stepped outside and there was a good 8" of snow on my car! It's especially mornings like these when I get to work and it's dead cold inside my office that I wish I was somewhere warm. :roll: My co-worker just told me I could take handfulls of snow and make it "snow" inside the tanks. Hmmm...like that wouldn't screw with the fishies... *L*
Line up!

Return to “Speak Easy”